Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Disabled PrevNextFirstLast SearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #181

4 replies
Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, Texas
By  TRG_wy on 9/3/07 10:40pm

BOY THIS WILL GET YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE UP.

Why do our leaders in Washington not want to resolve this problem???

Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, Texas is a fairly famous institution and for a variety of reasons:

1. John F. Kennedy died there in 1963
2. Lee Harvey Oswald died there shortly after
3. Jack Ruby-who killed Lee Harvey Oswald, died there a few years later. by coincidence

On the flip side, Parkland is also home to the second busiest maternity ward in the country with almost 16,000 new babies arriving each year.
(That's almost 44 per day---every day)

A recent patient survey indicated that 70 percent of the women who gave birth at Parkland in the first three months of 2006 were illegal immigrants.' Crikey, that's 11,200 anchor babies born every year just in Dallas. According to the article, the hospital spent $70.7 million delivering 15,938 babies in 2004 but managed to end up with almost $8 million dollars in surplus funding. Medicaid kicked in $34.5 million, Dallas County taxpayers kicked in $31.3 million and the feds tossed in another $9.5 million.

The average patient in Parkland's maternity wards is 25 years old, married and giving birth to her second child. She is also an illegal immigrant. By law, pregnant women cannot be denied medical care based on their immigration status or ability to pay. OK, fine. That doesn't mean they should receive better care than everyday, middle-class American citizens. But at Parkland Hospital, they do.

Parkland Memorial Hospital has nine prenatal clinics. NINE. The Dallas Morning News article followed a Hispanic woman who was a patient at one of the clinics and pregnant with her third child---her previous two were also born at Parkland. Her first two deliveries were free and the Mexican native was grateful because it would have cost $200 to have them in Mexico. This time, the hospital wants her to pay $10 per visit and $100 for the delivery but she was unsure if she could come up with the money. Not that it matters, the hospital won't turn her away. (I wonder why they even bother asking at this point.)

How long has this been going on? What are the long-term effects? Well, another subject of the article was born at Parkland in 1986 shortly after her mother entered the U.S. illegally---now she is having her own child there as well. (That's right, she's technically a U.S. citizen.) These women receive free prenatal care including medication, nutrition, birthing classes and child care classes. They also get freebies such as car seats, bottles, diapers and formula.

Most of these things are available to American citizens as well but only for low-income applicants and even then, the red tape involved is almost insurmountable.

Because these women are illegal immigrants they do not have to provide any sort of legitimate identification---no proof of income. An American citizen would have to provide a social security number which would reveal their annual income---an illegal immigrant need only claim to be poor and the hospital must take them at their word.

My husband is a pilot for the United States Navy (yes, he fought in Iraq) and while the health care is good, we Navy wives don't get any of these perks! Car seats? Diapers? Not so much. So my question is this: Does our public medical care system treat illegal immigrants better than American citizens? Yes it does!

As I mentioned, the care I have received is perfectly adequate but it's bare bones, meat and potato medical care---not top of line.

Their (the illegals) medical care is free---simply because they are illegal immigrants? Once again, there is no way to verify their income. Parkland Hospital offers indigent care to Dallas County residents who earn less than $40,000 per year. (They also have to prove that they did not refuse health coverage at their current job. Yeah, the 'free' care is not so easy for Americans.)

There are about 140 patients who received roughly $4 million dollars for un-reimbursed medical care. As it turns out, they did not qualify for free treatment because they resided outside of Dallas County. So the hospital is going to sue them! Illegals get it all free! But U.S. citizens who live outside of Dallas County get sued! How stupid is this?

As if that isn't annoying enough, the illegal immigrant patients are actually complaining about hospital staff not speaking Spanish. In this AP story, the author speaks with a woman who is upset that she had to translate comments from the hospital staff into Spanish for her husband. The doctor was trying to explain the situation to the family and the mother was forced to translate for her husband who only spoke Spanish. This was apparently a great injustice to her.

"In an attempt to create a Spanish-speaking staff, Parkland Hospital is now providing incentives in the form of extra pay for applicants who speak Spanish. Additionally, medical students at the University of Texas Southwestern for which Parkland Hospital is the training facility will now have a Spanish language requirement added to their already jammed-packed curriculum. No other school in the country boasts such a ridiculous multi-semester (multicultural) requirement.

In the meantime, I have to end my column here. I have to go buy a car seat.

(Ed: Sorry for the length, but this needs wide circulation----particularly to our "employees" in the Congress.)

Quote of the Day

"Once the coffers of the federal government are opened to the public*, there will be no shutting them again." -Grover Cleveland

Msg #180

0 replies
Senatorial Votes
By  TRG_wy on 9/3/07 10:30pm

Senatorial Votes

The following senators voted against making English the official language of America:

Akaka (D-HI)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Boxer (D-CA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Dayton (D-MN)
Dodd (D-CT)
Domenici (R-NM)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Harkin (D-IA)
Inouye (D-HI)
Jeffords (I-VT)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kohl (D-WI)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (D-CT)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murray (D-WA)
Obama (D-IL)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Salazar (D-CO)
Sarbanes (D-MD)
Schumer (D-NY)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Wyden (D-OR)

Now, the following are the senators who voted to give illegal aliens Social Security benefits. They are grouped by home state. If a state is not listed, there was no voting representative.

Alaska: Stevens(R)
Arizona: McCain(R)
Arkansas: Lincoln(D), Pryor (D)
California: Boxer(D), Feinstein(D)
Colorado: Salazar(D)
Connecticut: Dodd(D),Lieberman (D)
Delaware: Biden (D), Carper(D)
Florida: Martinez (R)
Hawaii: Akaka(D) Inouye (D)
Illinois: Durbin(D), Obama(D)
Indiana: Bayh(D),Lugar(R)
Iowa: Harkin(D)
Kansas: Brownback(R)
Louisiana: Landrieu(D)
Maryland: Mikulski(D), Sarbanes(D)
Massachusett: Kennedy(D), Kerry(D)
Montana: Baucus(D)
Nebraska: Hagel(R)
Nevada: Reid(D)
New Jersey: Lautenberg(D), Menendez(D)
New Mexico: Bingaman (D)
New York: Clinton (D), Schumer (D)
North Dakota: Dorgan (D)
Ohio: DeWine(R), Voinovich(R)
Oregon: Wyden (D)
Pennsylvania: Specter(R)
Rhode Island: Chafee (R), Reed (D)
South Carolina: Graham (R)
South Dakota: Johnson (D)
Vermont: Jeffords (I), Leahy (D)
Washington: Cantwell (D), Murray (D)
West Virginia: Rockefeller (D), by Not Voting
Wisconsin: Feingold (D), Kohl (D)
Wyoming: no vote

Msg #163

2 replies
in my mailbox to share:
By  jba/fl on 8/31/07 1:35am

QUITE AN ANALOGY
I bought a bird feeder. I hung it on my back porch and filled it with seed. Within a week we had hundreds of birds taking advantage of the continuous flow of free and easily accessible food. But then the birds started building nests in the boards of the patio, above the table, and next to the barbecue. Then came the poop. It was everywhere: on the patio tile, the chairs, the table ... everywhere.

Then some of the birds turned mean: They would dive bomb me and try to peck me even though I had fed them out of my own pocket. And others birds were boisterous and loud: They sat on the feeder and squawked and screamed at all hours of the day and night and demanded that I fill it when it got low on food.

After a while, I couldn't even sit on my own back porch anymore. I took down the bird feeder and in three days the birds were gone. I cleaned up their mess and took down the many nests they had built all over the patio.

Soon, the back yard was like it used to be . quiet, serene and no one demanding their rights to a free meal.

Now lets see ....... Our government gives out free food, subsidized housing, free medical care, free education and allows anyone born here to be an automatic citizen. Then the illegal's came by the tens of thousands.

Suddenly our taxes went up to pay for free services; small apartments are housing five (5) families: you have to wait six (6) hours to be seen by an emergency room doctor: your child's 2nd grade class is behind other schools because over half the class doesn't speak English: Corn Flakes now come in a bilingual box; I have to press "one" to hear my bank talk to me in English, and people waving flags other than "Old Glory" are squawking and screaming in the streets, demanding more rights and free liberties.

Maybe it's time for the government to take down the bird feeder.

If you agree, pass this on.........

Msg #161

0 replies
Latest from my Left Wing Yiddishe Mama (take THAT)
By Signing_Doc on 8/30/07 4:14pm

A cowboy named Bud was overseeing his herd in a remote mountainous pasture in California when suddenly a brand-new BMW advanced out of a dust cloud towards him.

The driver, a young man in a Brioni suit, Gucci shoes, RayBan sunglasses and YSL tie, leans out the window and asks the cowboy, "If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, Will you give me a calf?"

Bud looks at the man, obviously a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully grazing herd and calmly answers, "Sure, Why not?"

The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell notebook computer, connects it to his Cingular RAZR V3 cell phone, and surfs to a NASA page on the Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite to get an exact fix on his location which he then feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo.

The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg , Germany

Within seconds, he receives an email on his Palm Pilot that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses a MS-SQL database through an ODBC connected Excel spreadsheet with email on his Blackberry and, after a few minutes, receives a response.

Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page report on his hi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet printer and finally turns to the cowboy and says, "You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves."

"That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my calves," says Bud.

He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on amused as the young man stuffs it into the trunk of his car.

Then the Bud says to the young man, "Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my calf?"

The young man thinks about it for a second and then says, "Okay, why not?"

"You're a Democratic Congressman for the U.S. Government", says Bud.

"Wow! That's correct," says the yuppie, "but how did you guess that?"

"No guessing required." answered the cowboy. "You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already knew,to a question I never asked. You tried to show me how much smarter than me you are; and you don't know a thing about cows...this is a
herd of sheep. . . .

Now give me back my dog.

Msg #159

0 replies
Follow-up to msg #76 Iraq. Moore's radio interview
By  Vince/KS on 8/30/07 10:54am

Congressman Dennis Moore from my District is a moderate Democrat. He would have to be in the heavy blue state of Kansas in order to be elected. He was on talk radio last night while I was on the way to a signing. When asked of recent incidents involving scandal and corruption he said that both sides have had a limited number of problems and that the vast majority are good, decent, hard working persons standing up for principals they believe in.

He was asked about his opinion of Iraq and whether he supported the overall war and what his thoughts were and how were they developed. He made several key statements that are worth considering. He said that he supported the entry of the United States into Iraq. He said he did so based upon the facts presented at the time - that they were briefed three times by a UN appointee to determine whether WMD were in Iraq and they believed that they were. That he did not rely on anyone from any party to make up his mind concerning the right thing to do. That the same intelligence was shared with the US, England, France and Germany among others. That the intelligence was incorrect was a problem. He indicated Saddam was an extraordinarily evil person and should have been removed. He also put forth the idea that it was his opinion that Saddam felt strongly that if the UN felt that he had WMD than we would not enter and that he remotely encouraged intelligence sources with the planting of faulty information (blame the dead guy?). He went on to say that Saddam did not in any way allow for Al Qaeda to be present in Iraq as they are at extreme odds with the other. However, he said that he felt strongly that we should not withdraw now. He said he is disappointed in the current government and is not impressed with how this war is going. He said that in a free country persons are elected to the position and the current government is the only one that we can legitimately do business with. That Iraq need to more quickly step up to the plate is extraordinarily important, but difficult to achieve. Al Qaeda is in Iraq now strongly, arguably entering upon the vacuum affect of Saddam’s departure. He has no doubt that it is far better to keep the fight in Iraq than to see it here later.

Missions have been accomplished, but the war is not over. Perhaps these perceptions are being stated to keep the constituency happy.

Msg #148

1 replies
Free Market?
By  jba/fl on 8/29/07 12:00pm

Think About This One!!! It is short but very interesting!

A car company can move it's factories to Mexico and claim it's a
free market.

A toy company can out source to a Chinese subcontractor and claim
it's a free market.

A shoe company can produce its shoes in southeast Asia and claim
it's a free market.

A major bank can incorporate in Bermuda to avoid taxes and claim
it's a free market.

< /B> We can buy HP Printers made in Mexico .. We can buy shirts made in
Bangladesh . We can purchase almost anything we want from 20 different countries.

BUT, heaven help the senior citizens who dare to buy their
prescription drugs from a Canadian or Mexican pharmacy. That's called
un-American! And you think the pharmaceutical companies don't have a
powerful lobby? Think again!

Forward this to every person you know over age 50. It is an interesting thought. Maybe this is an issue that should come up in the next election!

Forget the 50, send it to everyone. We're all in this boat together! Even if you aren't in this boat now, you're standing on the pier.

Msg #147

14 replies
GOP = Gay Old Perverts?????
By Bob_Chicago on 8/29/07 11:16am

Do these people shop at Hypocrites R Us?????

Msg #145

3 replies
Castro will support the Clinton/Obama ticket
By MistarellaFL on 8/29/07 9:17am

According to Fox news this morning.
He was quoted as saying they should run as P/VP ticket.
Scary.

Msg #143

5 replies
Obama's Plan?
By  kcg on 8/29/07 7:19am

Listening to NPR this morning I almost choked on my coffee.....Obama wants to fine the subprime lenders for putting people into mortgages they could not afford and then turn around and use the "billions of dollars in fines" to help these people out? Barack, you are losing me.......

Yes the subprime lenders were wrong but please put some of the blame where it belongs - squarely on the shoulders of those borrowers who took out loans they KNEW they could not afford. And he wants to "fine" these companies? They are bankrupt - out of business, how would anyone be able to milk "billions" out of them? Notaries owed a measly pittance can't even get their money.

Who agrees with this idea?

Msg #104

5 replies
Food for thought - Is Bush subject to the UCMJ?
By  John_NorCal on 8/26/07 9:18pm

Here's something that was sent to me. I don't believe it's possible, but it is a scary thought.

Talk of a military coup, whose domain has been, heretofore, confined to a conspiratorial substratum, is beginning to surface. Fictional accounts of just such a coup have already preceded this carefully orchestrated "what if" scenario in a test circulation among the Top Brass of the military. Front men, known as "Cutouts," are now working diligently planting similar seeds in mainstream blogs and cyberspace media, "testing the waters," as it were. Check out this blatant vanity pitch to General Peter Pace, "The Golden Boy," in this from the Huffington Post, appealing to his paternalism to forgo the role of "Throw the Fight For the Mob" and knock out the opponent by "playing it straight." If, for any reason, the Top Officers, believe that we have a Caligula in George Bush, can they, under the provisions of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, legally pull off a "Caine Mutiny?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/martin-lewis/general-pace-you-can-sa_b_61785.html

Steve Savage "King of the Beasts"

Msg #101

6 replies
WWII... request for online research websites
By JK/TX on 8/26/07 6:35pm

My Father was in WWII, Co. D, 9th infantry, 1942-1945 according to his I.D. bracklet. He would never talk about it to me. Do any of you know how to research someone's service from this information alone?

Msg #99

14 replies
A Poll For All Veterans
By  John_NorCal on 8/26/07 4:46pm

1. Are you glad that you served?

2. Would you serve again?

3. What was the best duty station that you were stationed at?

4. Would you change anything about your military service?

Msg #76

16 replies
Poll: What do you think will happen if we pull out of Iraq?
By CJ on 8/25/07 8:23pm

A. More terrorist strikes against the US?
B. Peace in our time?
C. Other.

Msg #67

12 replies
LAW AGAINST BAGGIE PANTS.....
By JK/TX on 8/25/07 2:11pm

I would like to hear your view on this law. With the shortage of police officers and high crime, how can the numb skulls in office make a law to inforce with fines and jail time for wearing baggies pants that hang below one's butt!

Of course it's stupid and looks worse than stupid. But I think our law enforcement officers have bigger problems to conquer and demanding them to deal with this is an insult to our police officers duties in our communities.

My son went thru that phase.... I just pulled my pants down below my cheeks too and walked around the house flashing my “hanes her way” and I tried to answer the door in my cool dress fashion when his friends come over..... got my point across!!

LAWS, LAWS, AND MORE LAWS..... many of us come so close each day to breaking a law that could send us to prison and don't even know it.

Msg #58

12 replies
Where are they?
By  BrendaTx on 8/25/07 10:12am

When there is an appropriate place for hot debate among notary peers, where are they?

I'm disappointed. Frown

Now that it's the main attraction and no longer "the fray" no one is jumping in.

What's that? ME debate this? Heck no...not good at it. However, I am very interested in learning from others.

Msg #55

5 replies
New Poll: Demise of United States
By CJ on 8/25/07 12:48am

(You can explain, but you can't put others down for their opinions). We can agree to disagree. Smile

What do you think will be the demise of the United States (if any)?
Aside from poor government:

A. Global Warming
B. Muslim extremests
C. Third world illegals
D. Other.

Msg #27

37 replies
Just a poll, no explainations.
By CJ on 8/23/07 11:49am

I am dying of curiuosity how the country is leaning in this presidential election. So far, I really only hear about who the media wants to promote. People are backing who they think might win. But I want to know who you LIKE. Can you please say who is your favorite candidate so far? I don't want anyone flamed, I just want to know the leanings of the country. Thanks.

For me, I want Tom Tancredo.

Msg #24

2 replies
HARRY FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!! n/m
By Jersey_Boy on 8/23/07 10:48am

Msg #7

9 replies
OK, I'll be the first...
By  John_NorCal on 8/22/07 11:49am

I can't stand that guy in the big house in the eastern part of the country.
Your turn Jahari.......

Msg #1

19 replies
Welcome to the Just Politics forum
By Harry [NR] on 8/11/07 12:44am

We have created this forum as a venue for notaries public across the United States to discuss political issues. Permitted topics included past and present political events, candidates and elections, related news topics and general (or specific) opinions of a political nature.

The Rules for this Forum are:

1) Keep it clean. Do not personally attack other members and do not make unsupported blanket/general statements about political parties, candidates and current government representatives. (In other words, we do not want to see "Joe Governor Sucks n/m")

2) Do not spam the forum. Your opinion on any one topic should be stated only once, not daily nor weekly.

3) Do not overtly advertise for your party or candidate. Discuss the issues, highlight the strengths, but DO NOT demand that other people "VOTE FOR JOE GOVERNOR"

The bottom line is to keep it civil and constructive.

Thanks,
Harry

Disabled PrevNextFirstLast SearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.