Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

PrevDisabled NextFirstLast SearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #83235

0 replies
Interesting article about misinformation interview.
By SC/CA on 4/28/24 1:01pm

http://www.cnn.com/2024/04/28/politics/election-misinformation-conspiracy-theories-what-matters/index.html

Some excerpts. Interview questions:

"It’s not your job to change people’s minds, but I wonder, after reporting this documentary, what you think can be done to get people to agree to the same set of facts? "

"Your demeanor when you conduct these interviews with people saying incorrect things is friendly. It’s respectful. I was disarmed by that because, while you do point out inaccurate things people say during these interviews, you also ended up talking to people instead of disagreeing with them. How do you go about conducting these interviews? "
"
Response:
"It’s opening people’s eyes in that way a bit. But I think more importantly, it’s being willing to have the conversation in the first place. Being actually willing to sit down and talk with folks in the first place. "

I give the documentarian a lot of credit for his tempered approach. I would think it would take a willingness to be patient and practice the skill of empathy. We all have such varied viewpoints. I don't think I could be that tempered but am inspired by those who do make that effort. I often ask myself, "how do we engage in discussing misinformation and potentially conflicting viewpoints in a way that is respectful."

Msg #83233

1 replies
Grandpa, nap time!
By Mike Goodey on 4/24/24 4:51pm

I haven't burned Biden in a while but I just couldn't let this go. Biden was doing a comedy stint about Trump and as he is reading the teleprompter he sees the word "pause." Well, being the astute president of the United States of America, instead of following the message and pausing, he actually says 'Pause" like he thought he was supposed to!!
Can you imagine the heads of all other countries laughing at us because of this yutz we have as our leader?
It's embarrassing to admit Joe Biden is the leader of our country....and he's running again with the laughing hyena as his vp????

Msg #83231

1 replies
FISA, good, bad, indifferent?
By sigtogo/OR on 4/17/24 7:25pm

http://mailchi.mp/cafe/contributor-note-5053526?e=5d2c24634e
hopefully this Link works. seems to be a thorough description of FISA and its ramifications.
IMO privacy is absolutely to be upheld ... until it crosses into the territory of harming others.

Msg #83226

0 replies
Oh no Joe, not again.
By Mike Goodey on 4/9/24 4:43pm

Joe Biden is at it again. Realizing that to younger voters he "stinks" Joe comes up with his ever popular "Debt forgiveness plan" for college students.
First of all, how is this debt forgiven? Oh, it isn't !! It's placed on John And Jane Q. Public!!
So Joe is moving debt around, the old shell game only anyone with half a brain realizes that each and everyone one of us will be paying that debt for years and years to come.

How's that for buying votes? Shouldn't Joe be buying votes with his own money?
Then there's AOC who thinks it's a grand idea. With the debt forgiven they can go abroad! What about the rest of us who weren't able to go to college, let alone a university? Speaking of which, this "forgiveness" allows schools to keep raising fees with no end. But Joe says he won't stop trying to get the younger votes.

Don't get me started on what these schools are teaching!!!!!

Msg #83218

2 replies
TX Politician ran on elimating the very position he won ...
By Moneyman/TX on 3/30/24 10:44am

and he is following through on it. He campaigned on it, won election, not taking the $117K/yr salary he is entitled to, and doing exactly what he said he would do: definitely not your typical politician that's for sure.

"Newly elected Galveston Co. treasurer working to eliminate his own position: 'Not a needed position' "
Friday, January 6, 2023

GALVESTON COUNTY, Texas (KTRK) -- Running for an elected office you would like to see eliminated does not happen often, but that's exactly what is going on in Galveston County.

Hank Dugie, the newly elected Galveston County treasurer, ran on the promise that he would reduce the size of government, starting with his position.

"My campaign centered around the idea that the office is a waste, taxpayers could save money if we abolished it. It's really not a needed position anymore. It doesn't provide any extra level of protection for taxpayers, all it does is cost them dollars," Dugie said.

The office of the county treasurer is typically in charge of duties such as reconciliation of accounts, disbursement of checks, and payroll. So if there's no county treasurer, who will take over those responsibilities?

"We won't have to hire more people. We are actually downsizing, saving taxpayers money, and at the same time, we are streamlining, making our processes safer so that the county taxpayers' dollar will be better kept," Dugie explained.

He says the four employees currently working for his office will eventually be moved to other county offices but will continue carrying out their current responsibilities.

For the position to be eliminated, a constitutional amendment will have to be filed, it will have to pass in the Texas House of Representatives and Senate and then will be on the ballot for Galveston County voters in November of this year.

So how much money is this move expected to save?

"As we consolidate duties and we find more efficiencies, I think we will save about half a million dollars a year," Dugie said.

That's money he believes can be spent better elsewhere, or saved.

"In the long term, $500,000 a year buys new roads, digs ditches, and can be put back to taxpayers in the form of savings, so there's a lot of important things that can be done with the money," Dugie said.

Nine counties in Texas, including Tarrant, Bee, Bexar, Colin, Andrews, El Paso, Gregg, Fayette, and Nueces, did away with the treasurer position years ago. The last time this happened was in 1987.

"Galveston County in the past has had some issues with some of its finances. It's a lot easier for voters to hold commissioners court and the county judge accountable for an appointed auditor than it is to hold an independently elected county treasurer responsible who most people don't know who they are nor what their responsibilities are," explained Mark Jones, professor of political science at Rice University.

On Jan. 3, Dugie filed an affidavit filed with the Galveston County District Clerk's Office, which is necessary to start the process of getting the position eliminated. The affidavit also states he decided to forego his treasurer's salary, which is $117,260.

"I think giving up the salary shows people that this isn't a get-rich scheme. This is an actual policy position that I hold very dearly," Dugie said.

https://abc13.com/galveston-county-treasurer-hank-dugie-job-elimination/12660388/

Msg #83216

0 replies
20 years saw a huge swing in "beliefs", not for the better
By Moneyman/TX on 3/30/24 9:38am

"Remember when Democrats talked like Republicans?"
Bill Clinton in 1995 --

<div style="font-size: 0.8em"><a href="https://www.tools4noobs.com/online_tools/youtube_xhtml/">Get your own valid XHTML YouTube embed code</a></div>

Bill Clinton was referring to this when he mentioned Barbara Jordan --

<div style="font-size: 0.8em"><a href="https://www.tools4noobs.com/online_tools/youtube_xhtml/">Get your own valid XHTML YouTube embed code</a></div>

Before anyone attempts to use the myth that "Republicans were for illegal aliens entering the country because they wanted cheap labor" myth (i.e. Lie), here is a sample of what Republicans in 1995 were actually saying about illegal aliens entering the country illegally, as well legal aliens legally entering the country (in a time when even the common citizen understood the difference between legal and illegal aliens in the U.S., unlike today).
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/02/us/house-republicans-may-split-immigration-bill-to-keep-it-from-boggingdown.html

Are there any Democrats willing to argue FOR the party's current position on illegal aliens illegally entering the county (i.e. their open borders policy) and how (and why) the party's position has so drastically changed since 1995?

Msg #83215

1 replies
Talk about covering all your political bases ...
By Moneyman/TX on 3/30/24 8:52am

"Biden Decries Criminalization of Cannabis Consumers Even As He Insists They Have No Second Amendment Rights"

http://reason.com/2024/03/20/biden-decries-criminalization-of-cannabis-consumers-even-as-he-insists-they-have-no-second-amendment-rights/

We all know that just about all politicians double talk, but just how often are they this blatant with it?

Msg #83214

2 replies
sigtogo/OR - correct forum. You just trolling or joining...
By Moneyman/TX on 3/30/24 8:47am

the discussion? I still stand by my observations in this post about Justice Jackson, what say you?

"My biggest concern," said Supreme Court Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson on Monday, "is that your view has the First Amendment hamstringing the government in significant ways."

http://reason.com/2024/03/19/hamstringing-the-government-a-viral-narrative-distorts-ketanji-brown-jacksons-understanding-of-free-speech/

She is a Supreme Court Justice and she doesn't even seem to understand what the 1st Amendment IS for; to hamstring the government!

Msg #83210

7 replies
#9 example
By sigtogo/OR on 3/27/24 11:29pm

Today, on his social media network, Trump attacked individuals related to his upcoming election interference case. He lashed out at one of the prosecutors on Manhattan district attorney Alvin Bragg’s staff who previously worked for the Justice Department; Judge Juan Merchan, the judge in his upcoming criminal case for election interference; and the judge’s daughter. Of the judge and his daughter, Trump told his angry followers: “These COUNTRY DESTROYING SCOUNDRELS & THUGS HAVE NO CASE AGAINST ME. WITCH HUNT!”

Letters from an American, HCR
OR
http://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-judge-merchan-hush-money-gag-order-truth-social-daughter-578a0c6334b206d81dc2ebf6a410a502

PrevDisabled NextFirstLast SearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.