Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

OK - I can breath again, and I'm back for now
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 7/14/21 11:42pm Msg #78975
The batshit crazy hasn't stopped (again - it's not happening here) but after a couple of days ago I peeked into the forum and thought "Oh my"...

Just to address a couple of threads I've seen - believe it or not, I am 100% in agreement with bagger on the Afghan troop withdrawal. Long overdue, but it makes no sense to advertise the date. And LD, you really need to do some research and understand what the Afghani collaborators did for us and the danger they would be in if we don't extract them. It's not a question of just finding somewhere else they could serve - these people risked their lives to work with our military, and not extracting them as we withdraw is literally a death sentence for them and their families. They are heroes, and should be treated as such. Not to mention that if we leave them there to die, no other country will ever trust us again.

Regarding the posts about gas prices and inflation under the Biden administration - here's a quick lesson in logic. There's a fallacy that can be described this way: "correlation does not imply causation." In other words, just because A and B both exist at the same time does not mean that B is caused by A or that A is caused by B.

We saw that fallacy under Trump, where he took credit for the rise in the stock market. What exactly did he do to cause that rise? Nothing. It happened, and none of his policies influenced it. In fact, the market is growing stronger now that he's gone. If A caused B to increase, wouldn't it be fair to assume that removing A (in this case, Trump) would cause B to decrease? That hasn't happened; in fact, the market is stronger now than it was before Biden.

So what exactly has Biden done to increase inflation? Nothing. It's the same logical construct - the fact that Biden (A) and inflation (B) exist at the same time does not mean that one is responsible for causing the other. In economic terms, inflation now is a result of the pandemic - prices are higher as we come out of the pandemic because supplies were lower and now demand for those low supplies is higher. This is basic economic theory - price follows availability+demand. It will adjust downward as supply increases to meet demand. So unless you can point to something that Biden has done to actually CAUSE inflation, you're just blaming him for something he had no control over.

That's it for starters. Looking forward to debating the GOP movement to cancel Critical Race Theory as well as their voter suppression laws...
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 OK - I can breath again, and I'm back for now - MikeC/TX on 7/14/21 11:42pm
 When I saw you posting in DW yesterday.. - Linda_H/FL on 7/15/21 7:52am
 Re: OK - I can breath again, and I - Luckydog on 7/15/21 9:33am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.