Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Welcomed news, to fight fake news.
Posted by SC/CA of CA on 11/10/23 1:39pm Msg #83114
Ha! Yes, I do. I hear you!

I like to read CBC (Canadian Broadcasting) and BBC news online. Oftentimes, they provide a more neutral, nonpartisan, and more informational source, with less sensationalized approach.

From what I understand, in the US, news was once considered a public service announcement - think Walter Cronkite. It was operated at a net deficit, and considered by broadcasting companies as a necessary component of informing the public. It was the 60 Minutes Show that surprised networks with its huge popularity and accompanying revenue stream, that shifted the concept of news delivery from a public service to a large revenue stream for broadcasters. It’s a lesson in unintended consequences.

Now with social media, we’re tending to live in bubbles and echo chambers of reinforced opinions more and more. So, I’m so happy to see that fake news and media literacy are being addressed. An informed public is so important, as opposed to consumers of sometimes unreliable and shady products for profit gains. The net effect of which can be isolating ourselves from one another into marketable groups. One of the reasons I like Notary Rotary is that it’s not a bubble group. We’re all so different and I enjoy knowing people who are different from me.
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 Welcomed news, to fight fake news. - SC/CA on 11/10/23 11:38am
 Re: Welcomed news, to fight fake news. -  Mike Goodey on 11/10/23 11:58am
 Re: Welcomed news, to fight fake news. - SC/CA on 11/10/23 1:39pm
 Step in right direction. Only 1K more and sanity returns n/m - Lee/AR on 11/10/23 6:29pm
 Re: Welcomed news, to fight fake news. - bagger on 11/14/23 5:07am
 Re: Welcomed news, to fight fake news. - SC/CA on 11/14/23 4:22pm
 Re: Welcomed news, to fight fake news. - bagger on 11/15/23 11:09am
 Re: Welcomed news, to fight fake news. - SC/CA on 11/15/23 12:13pm
 Re: Welcomed news, to fight fake news. -  JanetK_CA on 11/16/23 7:32pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.