Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Poll: What do you think will happen if we pull out of Iraq?
Posted by  John_NorCal of CA on 8/26/07 2:32pm Msg #95
Had Bush1 gone into Baghdad the outcome may have been favorable or it may have the same effect as today. Schwartzkoff being a ground soldier in command wanted to do what is normally expected. Go in and kick ass. In either case I don't believe there was a plan in effect for an exit strategy. Back to my thoughts of setting up a government in exile.

Korea was a UN police action, we did not turn tail and run. We have had troops there ever since the cease fire, those troops have come under fire and been killed. (Christmas 1975 [?]) It is still considered a combat zone.

Viet Nam was strictly a civil war that we never should have been involved in. It was Allied policies that pushed Ho Chi Minh and the Viet Minh (later known as the Viet Cong) closer to their historical enemy, China. It was the failure of the Viet Namese to take charge of their war and win it for themselves. When I was there listened to field units that were asking for permission from their Viet Namese counter parts to fire on suspected VC infiltrators, etc. Quite that permission would be denied because? Answer, "I said so." So I take issue that we turned tail and ran.

Mogadishu? As I related the quote from the former Iraqi physician, "We don't have the stomach for what needs to be done."

World ruled by strength, yes. We were strong through out the Cold War and postured enough so that the former Soviet Union considered us a formidable enemy.

Free Iraq? I don't believe it. There will be a sectarian state with infighting among Sunnis, Shites and Kurds. I firmly believe that WE have destabilized that region. WE have spread our forces so thin that WE are now in danger.

Bush2 and cohorts have thrown away all of the world support that we gained after the Sept 11th attacks. We had every right to be in Afghanistan, and every obligation to finish the job. But we didn't and now look, the Taliban has re-emerged, there is no peace in the country and we continue to lose people needlessly.

Iran being a threat, yes they are and they will be. Unfortunately we have broadened their base of influence due to the lack of planning and execution instigated by this administration.
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 Poll: What do you think will happen if we pull out of Iraq? - CJ on 8/25/07 8:23pm
 Definitely A n/m -  Dorothy_MI on 8/25/07 8:51pm
 Re: Definitely A - I agree n/m -  Sylvia_FL on 8/25/07 8:57pm
 Re: Poll: What do you think will happen if we pull out of Iraq? - Teddog/CO on 8/25/07 9:00pm
 Sorry gang but there is just no short ans to the questionsnm n/m - Teddog/CO on 8/25/07 9:02pm
 Re: Sorry gang but there is just no short ans to the questionsnm - CJ on 8/26/07 12:19am
 Re: Poll: What do you think will happen if we pull out of Iraq? - bestcal on 8/25/07 9:23pm
 Re: Poll: What do you think will happen if we pull out of Iraq? -  TRG_wy on 8/26/07 9:26am
 Re: Poll: What do you think will happen if we pull out of Iraq? -  John_NorCal on 8/26/07 1:16pm
 Re: Poll: What do you think will happen if we pull out of Iraq? -  bigdog on 8/26/07 2:01pm
 Re: Poll: What do you think will happen if we pull out of Iraq? -  John_NorCal on 8/26/07 2:32pm
 Re: Poll: What do you think will happen if we pull out of Iraq? -  bigdog on 8/26/07 2:54pm
 I am so glad I asked this question - CJ on 8/27/07 12:26am
 My take on this is American's DO -  Dorothy_MI on 8/27/07 6:20am
 Re: My take on this is American's DO - Merry_CA on 8/27/07 11:25am
 Re: Poll: What do you think will happen if we pull out of Iraq? - JanetK_CA on 9/2/07 2:53am
 Re: Poll: What do you think will happen if we pull out of Iraq? -  TRG_wy on 8/27/07 10:20am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.