Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: I think this is going to happen more & more as more cos.
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 1/20/20 5:51pm Msg #31563
The whole landscape is changing, and I think that cable TV companies will eventually become extinct - the business model doesn't really work anymore. People don't want to pay for hundreds of channels they have no interest in watching, but they may be willing to pay for a low-cost basic package and then add premium channels as if ordering from an a la carte menu.

What drove up the cost of cable TV packages is that content providers such as HBO and ESPN demanded payment based on the total number of subscribers - not just those who might opt for that content on a higher pricing tier. So if you have cable TV and they offer HBO as an optional premium channel, you're still paying something for HBO. Those who actually choose HBO are paying more, but everybody is paying something for it.

Most streaming services don't offer HBO as an option, probably for this reason. The one service I'm aware of that does offer HBO makes it part of its basic package and reduces the number of other channels in the package - so everybody clearly pays for HBO whether they want it or not. They end up having to pay more for some of the popular channels that other services include as part of THEIR basic package. It's crazy.
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Well, this is annoying... - MikeC/TX on 1/19/20 6:09pm
 I think this is going to happen more & more as more cos. -  MW/VA on 1/20/20 8:06am
 Re: I think this is going to happen more & more as more cos. - MikeC/TX on 1/20/20 5:51pm
 Just to update my previous answer - MikeC/TX on 1/21/20 4:28pm
 It serves them right, IMO. They got greedy & charge too -  MW/VA on 1/31/20 7:53pm
 Re: It serves them right, IMO. They got greedy & charge too - MikeC/TX on 2/1/20 5:41pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.