Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

You Youngsters! :)
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 4/21/20 4:17pm Msg #31948
I like that recipe. Sounds like a spicy meat-a-ball. I'm growing some sriracha peppers this year so looking forward to adding that to food.

When I think of Dutch ovens I always think of camping which we love to do, but haven't for a few years. Maybe I'll build a rocket stove in the backyard this year and play around with a Dutch oven. Homemade rocket stove:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onMbSLuC7Oc

Currently, we have ripe in the garden: lettuce, green onions, arugula, red onions, swiss chard, red beets, cilantro, parsley, basil, red and green kale. All sorts of new stuff growing. Last winter I put in some Bulls Blood beets (red tops instead of green) and grew them under a plastic covered bed. They grew fast and the leaves grew huge and remained soft. The beets were perfectly sized. Just as some looked like they were ready to bolt we harvested them, gave some away (doorstep delivery) and prepped some for ourselves. The rest is just from an observer (me).

My wife cut the red tops and put them in a flower vase on the counter. Still have a bunch there and they stay fresh in water. Can do the same with kale. Cooked and refrigerated the beets. The rest was pure made-up magic.

She sliced up the raw beet reds (tops) with spinach (2 parts spinach to 1 part reds) and julienned some red onions and mixed. That was the salad base. Topped with thin wedges of red beets, sliced avocado, broken walnuts and mandarin orange slices. She made it up but you can see where this is going. Just flavor it up! She added a ginger sesame dressing. Will try something homemade next time.

The other half of the plate was a brown rice medley that contained black barley and daikon radish seed (TJ's). She topped the medley with teriyaki chicken meatballs (okay, I had some), but you could use tofu, or use as a bed for the salad. It was really delicious! As we ate, she ran through a number of ways she could mix it up.

We've cooked beet greens ( I have those in the garden too) but the bulls blood beets with red tops is all I will grow from now on. Makes a great salad addition. If you can find them in the store give it a try!

bon apatite!
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Funny dinner conversation - Bear900/CA on 4/20/20 9:10pm
 I had alot of fun attempting to learn the dance - SC/CA on 4/21/20 1:49pm
 You Youngsters! :) - Bear900/CA on 4/21/20 4:17pm
 That sounds wonderful! Love all the fresh produce - SC/CA on 4/21/20 4:51pm
 was late in the day yesterday when I heard someone mention - notarydi/CA on 4/21/20 6:11pm
 Can't help but think of just combining it all... - SC/CA on 4/21/20 7:38pm
 Re: Funny dinner conversation - MikeC/TX on 4/22/20 3:39pm
 What a riot !! :-) n/m - SC/CA on 4/22/20 4:38pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.