Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Good article, Janet, thank you for sharing!
Posted by SC/CA of CA on 3/11/20 12:47pm Msg #31750
From the article, "Finally, the most important responsibility falls on each of us. It’s hard to change our own behavior... But we must change our behavior anyway."

My relatives are networking and supporting each other on this, and it's been tough, because we're all very social. We're calling it "Anti-social skills - the new hip thing! "

Above all, we do not want to get each other sick, or unknowlingly spread the virus around. The asympomatic nature of it requires increased, shared responsibility and extra precautions on everyone's part.

A few weeks ago, I received two calls for nursing home assignments, and while I felt fine, I did not accept them. It seemed like a red flag, it just felt like a risky, and potentially reckless thing to do - to enter the home - for my exposure and for the vulnerable residents. Shortly thereafter, there was the big Washington State nursing home outbreak. Now, protocols for entering homes and limiting guests are being adjusted and applied, in some areas.

My neighbor called last night just to check in. We always check on each other and literally bring the chicken soup if one of us is sick. We talked through the whole virus/socializing thing, and it was very helpful and supportive. I think the more we share the concept of responsible social distancing, the more we can wrap our heads around it, and do it for the good of everyone - for ourselves, for others, for the good of slowing the spread of the virus.

Initially, I thought it would seem like a bummer "practicing our anti-social skills," but that is not at all how it's being received. It's almost a relief for my in-laws - we have a plan, and it's grounding. We're using humor, rolling with it, and it's been helpful. It's feeling like less of a burden, and more of a support-each-other thing. But, it does take time for it to sink in, and adjust mentally. We are indeed taking social cues from one another, and it has become a caring (not worrisome) gesture, and ironically bringing some of us closer.

Along with social distancing, we're sharing some advice from my sister who works in the medical field, which also seemed important to share, and even though it's not all roses. Her advice to me was to stay home and avoid contact with others (especially if you are over 60 or have underlying issues) as the virus is asymptomatic and anyone can unwittingly be a carrier, or become one. About masks, she said that medical professionals have individually fitted custom-made masks that form around their individual faces (similar to a dental guard, etc.). But, the general public does not, and that is why masks are ineffective. She also advised going to a medical facility only under an emergency, as lack of protocol and cross-contamination is common. I know this advice is not for everyone, but it may be of assistance to someone, and if not, that's ok too. It's not meant to be a bummer, quite the opposite, more of a help each other out thing. :-)
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 In today's SF Chronicle, they hope that - SC/CA on 3/10/20 10:00am
 Article with an eye-opening perspective on COVID-19 -  JanetK_CA on 3/11/20 12:08am
 Will we be a Wilmer or a Max? - Bear900/CA on 3/11/20 1:33am
 Good article, Janet, thank you for sharing! - SC/CA on 3/11/20 12:47pm
 Re: Article with an eye-opening perspective on COVID-19 - Luckydog on 3/11/20 6:01pm
 LD - public schools are closed down there?? - Linda_H/FL on 3/12/20 1:39pm
 Re: LD - public schools are closed down there?? - Luckydog on 3/13/20 8:57pm
 Re: LD - public schools are closed down there?? - Luckydog on 3/13/20 8:58pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.