Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Mob mentality...
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 3/13/20 9:57pm Msg #31766
It's also an interesting illustration of how fast lots of things can spread. Wink I recall early on, some expert or pundit gave out some advice that people prepare for the possibility of being quarantined for a couple of weeks, just like they should for any other emergency. Examples of some things to store included bottled water, paper towels, and toilet paper, among others. Apparently, this time, the idea caught on.

As for the mob mentality, I did a stupid thing today and ended up experiencing that first hand. I found myself near Costco after an appointment and had a list of a few things I needed, so I stopped by. I should have gotten a clue when there were no shopping carts out front at all, let alone anyone wiping them down...

It was a mob scene, with very long lines (all the way back to the produce section) of people waiting to check out. I was able to get everything I needed (except TP - but I have enough for another week or two Wink), but it was such a hassle, that I found myself thinking "I don't want to have to come back to this again any time soon", so I found myself picking up a couple of things that I normally would have waited a little while longer to buy. [My wait in line to check out was 19 minutes - and that was half what it was earlier.]

I saw lots of people doing what looked like stock piling. For example, I saw one guy load up with about 4 cases of canned green beans (I think). Yukkk! So it appears seeing the buying hysteria of others is nearly as contagious as the virus itself!

I was surprised, though, to seeing so many wearing masks, but clearly not at all worried about putting their hands on the cart and touching all kinds of other stuff. (Hopefully they'll be washing their hands/using sanitizer immediately after they're done shopping.)

PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Can someone explain to me why people - MikeC/TX on 3/13/20 7:06pm
 Re: Can someone explain to me why people - Luckydog on 3/13/20 8:51pm
 Mob mentality... -  JanetK_CA on 3/13/20 9:57pm
 The Martians are coming! - Bear900/CA on 3/14/20 12:14am
 The only thing we've (I've) done is - Linda_H/FL on 3/14/20 8:30am
 Must be planning to make mummies! LOL n/m -  MW/VA on 3/14/20 9:59am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.