Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: The Beatles: Get Back documentary series
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 12/5/21 5:10pm Msg #33853
"With your DVR you can watch the documentary long after Disney."

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there are no home DVRs that will work with streaming devices the way they will with a cable TV service or OTA, because a stream is a digital signal and the DVRs are analog. I have a Tivo that I used for years, and it has been collecting dust since I ditched cable and went to streaming because there's no way to connect it to the Roku device. I know Tivo offers a streaming device, but it's not a recording device - it runs any streaming app you can find on Google Play, but it doesn't record the content locally.

With streaming, the content stays at the source. Streaming services that are not totally on-demand like Hulu, YouTubeTV, Sling, etc., usually offer a cloud DVR with different capacities and retention times, but what basically happens is that when you "record" a program in the cloud, you're just setting some sort of pointer to the content on their service that you can replay at a future point in time. If you discontinue the service - or if they cancel their contract with the provider - you lose all that stuff you thought you "recorded". There are two applications I'm aware of that claim to be able to capture streaming data to your local hard drive, but their legality has been in question so I personally wouldn't go near them.

"And yes, that's Salma Hayek playing all five nurses."

You have my attention...
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 The Beatles: Get Back documentary series - Bear900/CA on 12/1/21 12:15am
 I really want to see this, but dropped Disney+ & won't -  MW/VA on 12/1/21 9:30am
 Re: The Beatles: Get Back documentary series - MikeC/TX on 12/1/21 5:29pm
 Re: The Beatles: Get Back documentary series - Bear900/CA on 12/1/21 8:43pm
 Re: The Beatles: Get Back documentary series - MikeC/TX on 12/2/21 4:35pm
 Re: The Beatles: Get Back documentary series - Bear900/CA on 12/2/21 5:20pm
 Re: The Beatles: Get Back documentary series - MikeC/TX on 12/3/21 3:56pm
 Re: The Beatles: Get Back documentary series - Bear900/CA on 12/3/21 4:31pm
 Re: The Beatles: Get Back documentary series - MikeC/TX on 12/5/21 5:10pm
 Re: The Beatles: Get Back documentary series - Bear900/CA on 12/5/21 8:14pm
 I did sign up for 1 mo. of Disney+ to watch this. I wasn't -  MW/VA on 12/7/21 7:37am
 Re: I did sign up for 1 mo. of Disney+ to watch this. I wasn - Bear900/CA on 12/7/21 9:35am
 Re: I did sign up for 1 mo. of Disney+ to watch this. I wasn - Bear900/CA on 12/7/21 9:40am
 Re: I did sign up for 1 mo. of Disney+ to watch this. I wasn - MikeC/TX on 12/7/21 4:02pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.