Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Why Facts don
Posted by SC/CA of CA on 12/7/21 6:20pm Msg #33887
It’s a very interesting article. Thought-provoking.

“Providing people with accurate information doesn’t help, they just discount it.”

“Almost invariably, the positions we’re blind about are our own.”

And there’s a “rush of dopamine when processing something that supports their beliefs,” (even when it’s false).

The mind is such a weird and wondrous thing. It reminds me of a study where the test subjects were told repeatedly (before, during, and after the study) that they were being given false information about their own experiences. Overlaying what they knew about their childhood memories (ex. I used to ride a bike to school) with false ones (like, I rode the bus to school). All subjects believed the false narrative, over their own experiences, even when told in advance, that they would be told a lie.

It blew my mind, but maybe that's just what I was told! :-)
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Why Facts don't change our minds - Bear900/CA on 12/7/21 1:15pm
 Yes, yes, yes! Now how to apply what was learned~~ n/m - Lee/AR on 12/7/21 5:05pm
 Re: Why Facts don - SC/CA on 12/7/21 6:20pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.