Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

You did the only thing you could do ...
Posted by BobbiCT of CT on 4/18/14 10:05am Msg #506119
"...I make a phone call to TC and tried to explain as discreetly as possible to them that the Mr has some medical issues and cannot sign these documents. I mentioned the POA and of course TC stated that is has to be approved before they can be used. Signing adjourned!"

Skip everything else, the single most important part:

As the Notary Public, when the signer's wife tells you he has dementia and Ahlzeimers and then he cannot answer simple basic questions or state what he is signing and why, your HEAD, commission and personal financial liability are on the line. You did the right thing by not notarizing any documents.

Maybe the loan officer was trying to "fake it" because the RM would not be approved with a PoA and was hoping to "get lucky" for the hour or so you showed up?

This is similar to a hospital situation where the signer must be "off their pain meds" for X amount of time before the notary arrives, so that the signer, although in pain (sadly), knows what s/he is signing. Having done many of these, I feel for you and the spouse. With a small amount of planning on the part of the loan officer and the person scheduling your appointment, what happened to you and that couple was totally unnecessary.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Reverse Mortgage..Not signing today -  Claudine Osborne on 4/17/14 9:29pm
 You are a Wonderful person, Claudine. Your efforts are -  Christine/OK on 4/18/14 6:03am
 I've seen a couple of situations like that. One co. said it -  MW/VA on 4/18/14 6:54am
 Was this company serious??? -  Linda_H/FL on 4/18/14 7:18am
 My apologies - I'm a year behind myself.. -  Linda_H/FL on 4/18/14 7:21am
 Changes are ongoing. -  Shoshana/AZ on 4/18/14 7:33am
 They were serious, but I didn't go along with it. No one -  MW/VA on 4/18/14 9:37am
 Re: Reverse Mortgage..Not signing today - Bear900/CA on 4/18/14 9:43am
 Never thought I'd be saying this, but I disagree with you -  Linda_H/FL on 4/18/14 9:54am
 Re: IMO the lender AND title AND the LO dropped the ball'.. - Bear900/CA on 4/18/14 10:51am
 Re: Reverse Mortgage..Not signing today -  jba/fl on 4/18/14 10:45am
 You did the only thing you could do ... - BobbiCT on 4/18/14 10:05am
 Re: You did the only thing you could do ... -  Claudine Osborne on 4/18/14 9:22pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.