Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: First Signing
Posted by  VT_Syrup of VT on 9/27/18 4:36pm Msg #598924
This is probably too lake to help ChosenNSA, but I'll post for future reference.

When getting a call for an appointment, it's important to get a clear idea of who is doing what, and what the notary's role is.

When the notary is actually performing a notarial act, the notary is an officer of the government and impartial. If hired as a signing agent, the NSA may have obligations to one party, such as printing and delivering documents.

It is critical for the notary to read the laws and notary manual of his/her state to understand what state of mind the signer must be in to perform his/her part of the notarial act. Does the signer have to be, in the judgement of the lay notary, mentally competent? Acting voluntarily? Does the signer need to have a general understanding of the documents? In my state, there are no specific laws about this, but my practice is that the signer must appear to be acting voluntarily, appear in my non-professional judgement to be mentally competent, and seem to be generally aware of the purpose of the documents.

It is the responsibility of the seller to regard the buyer and the bank that is lending money to the buyer as potential adversaries. The seller must guard against anything being put in the documents that would be to the seller's disadvantage. The seller must also satisfy him/herself that he/she will actually receive the payment. In most places, it's the seller's responsibility to write the deed that transfer's ownership to the buyer. Naturally, this is beyond the ability of most sellers, so they usually hire a lawyer to take care of it.

If the seller isn't an attorney, or otherwise qualified to handle this sort of thing (perhaps a real estate agent) and the seller didn't hire an attorney, that's a red flag. If the seller had hired an attorney, I'd expect the closing to be in the attorney's office, with the attorney or the attourney's secretary doing the notarizations. The fact that the seller is calling me is a red flag.

If during the appointment phone call it came out that the only professionals involved are the lender and the title company hired by the lender, my presumption would be that the seller doesn't understand the documents, so I wouldn't be able to notarize the documents. The onus would be on the seller to convince me he/she understands the documents. I wouldn't try t quiz the seller on the documents themselves, rather, I would ask the seller about his/her qualifications, such as real estate agent, title company employee for some other tile company, judge, etc. Most likely I would be turning the assignment down.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 First Signing - ChosenNSA on 9/26/18 9:33pm
 Re: First Signing - Yoli/CA on 9/26/18 9:39pm
 Re: First Signing - ChosenNSA on 9/26/18 10:11pm
 I would need clarification on the scope of the request -  sigtogo/OR on 9/26/18 9:59pm
 BTW:If all they want is signatures notarized -  sigtogo/OR on 9/26/18 10:04pm
 Re: I would need clarification on the scope of the request - ChosenNSA on 9/26/18 10:16pm
 Re: I would need clarification on the scope of the request - ChosenNSA on 9/26/18 10:17pm
 Re: First Signing - NVLSlady/VA on 9/26/18 11:12pm
 Re: First Signing -  JanetK_CA on 9/26/18 11:47pm
 I'd request from Title (in writing) execution instructions; -  Christine/OK on 9/27/18 6:24am
 Re: First Signing - CopperheadVA on 9/27/18 6:48am
 Re: First Signing- tricky spot - NVLSlady/VA on 9/27/18 8:37am
 I completely agree. IMO this is not a situation a newbie -  MW/VA on 9/27/18 11:05am
 IMO this is not a situation a newbie - NVLSlady/VA on 9/27/18 1:00pm
 No way. If I get called to notarize a few documents, - CopperheadVA on 9/27/18 4:35pm
 I Will Tell You Exactly What This Is . . . - PegiT_MN on 9/27/18 1:52pm
 I agree, but it's not a sellers pkg. for us if they're only -  MW/VA on 9/27/18 4:24pm
 I agree. I give sellers a choice, though. -  JanetK_CA on 9/27/18 9:11pm
 I Do Not Want My Name or Notary Stamp Associated . . . - PegiT_MN on 9/27/18 11:22pm
 My name, my stamp, my reputation - Like;) - NVLSlady/VA on 9/28/18 11:57am
 Re: First Signing -  VT_Syrup on 9/27/18 4:36pm
 G, I'm assuming you're talking FSBOs... - NVLSlady/VA on 9/27/18 7:30pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.