Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: During GNW last night ...
Posted by  Cathy/CA of CA on 3/14/18 7:00pm Msg #591146
"I'm shaking my head. In California, we must complete a 6-hour class and undergo and pass an exam in order to be commissioned. How are these people passing? Do they forget everything once they leave that exam room? I know a notarization does not validate a document. But, does an illegal notarization invalidate it?"

1. Unfortunately, some notaries do not take their job seriously. For California notaries, there is a "$750 fine for negligently failing to discharge fully and faithfully any of the duties or responsibilities required of a notary public" or a "$1500 fine for willfully failing to discharge fully and faithfully any of the duties or responsibilities required of a notary public."

I encounter similar sloppy notary work.

2. In this case, the purpose of the Letter is authorizing their under age child to travel with another adult/adults. The airline or inbound country check point (I am forgetting the technical term), can ask to see the letter to confirm the child is authorized to travel with the adult/adults into the country and out of the country. Technically, if they know a California notary certificate is required and was not used, they could consider it invalid.

If it was a deed or other document that records with a county in California or needs to be authenticated or apostilled with the Secretary of State, the document(s) would be rejected and considered invalid.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 During GNW last night ... - Yoli/CA on 3/13/18 8:57am
 Re: During GNW last night ... -  janCA on 3/13/18 9:03am
 Re: During GNW last night ... - Tony Einwaller on 3/13/18 1:01pm
 Welcome to NotRot, Tony! - Yoli/CA on 3/13/18 2:57pm
 Re: During GNW last night ... -  JanetK_CA on 3/13/18 10:25pm
 Re: During GNW last night ... -  Cathy/CA on 3/14/18 7:00pm
 Re: During GNW last night ... -  VT_Syrup on 3/14/18 7:27pm
 Re: During GNW last night ... -  JanetK_CA on 3/15/18 3:08pm
 Re: During GNW last night ... - HisHughness on 3/14/18 10:54pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.