Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Self-employed: Social Security 12.4% MedCare 2.9%
Posted by Laurie Manzanares of CA on 10/21/16 12:21pmMsg #563596
I understand that each self-employed person reports earning differently. Some not at all, others report a certain persentage. It it getting close to that time of year again so I always take a look. Thought this information maybe helpful or useful for some on this board.

You must first open an Account with Social Security.
The below information can be found at "my Social Security", click "My Home", click "Review your earning records carefully".

Your benefits are based on your earnings. If our records are wrong, you may not receive all the benefits to which you're entitled.

Review your earnings record carefully...
Limits on taxable earnings for Social Security...

There's a limit on the amount of earnings on which you pay Social Security taxes each year. The limit usually increases yearly. Earnings above the limit will not appear on your earnings chart as Social Security earnings. (For Medicare taxes, the maximum earnings amount began rising in 1991. Since 1994, all of your earnings are taxed for Medicare.)

Note: Currently, you and your employer each pay a 6.2 percent Social Security tax on up to $118,500 of your earnings and a 1.45 percent Medicare tax on all your earnings.

If you are self-employed, you pay the combined employee and employer amount, which is a 12.4 percent Social Security tax on up to $118,500 of your net earnings and a 2.9 percent Medicare tax on your entire net earnings. If you have earned income of more than $200,000 ($250,000 for married couples filing jointly), you must pay 0.9 percent more in Medicare taxes.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Self-employed: Social Security 12.4% MedCare 2.9% - Laurie Manzanares on 10/21/16 12:21pm
 Great info, Laurie. It's been brought up many times that -  MW/VA on 10/21/16 1:01pm
 Re: Great info, Laurie. It -  apsnltch on 10/21/16 3:53pm
 It mostly impacts disability insurance eligibility... - Marian_in_CA on 10/23/16 3:12am
 Re: Self-employed: Social Security 12.4% MedCare 2.9% - Laurie Manzanares on 10/21/16 5:38pm
 Re: Self-employed: Social Security 12.4% MedCare 2.9% -  JanetK_CA on 10/21/16 6:21pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.