Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

This Is A Must Read Post For All My Notary Rotary Family
Posted by PegiT_MN of MN on 6/25/17 11:25am Msg #577356
Many of my dear friends here at Notary Rotary know that my notary commission was recently compromised by a group of individuals out of Mexico posing as a title company right here in Minnesota. The perpetrators went on the Minnesota Secretary of State's website and used my commission number to have a stamp made and stamped it on documents to make them look official when trying to scam people who owned time shares in Mexico out of money. They do not have my stamp. I am in possession of my stamp. They stole my notary identity and had a fake stamp made.

Here is a link to their website which looks very official.

http://advancedescrowservices.com/index.html

It is only a matter of days until the Minnesota Secretary of State's office, The Minnesota Department of Commerce, and The FBI have it taken down, but I thought it was important for you too see what it looks like before it gets taken down. It looks real. This company placed my stamp on a guarantee letter to make it look official. Any notary would know that this is not how we notarize documents, but then the unsuspecting general public would not know that.

Luckily a woman from California called me up and told me that my identity had been stolen in regard to my notary stamp. I obtained a copy of what was notarized, the signature did not match mine, and the stamp they were using was round and Minnesota requires a rectangular stamp. I followed proper protocol per the State of Minnesota and reported it to my local police department, the Minnesota Secretary of States Office, and the Minnesota Department of Commerce. There is nothing more they can or will do for me. They know that it is not me because my signature is on file everywhere and the stamp they used was round not rectangular as Minnesota requires. The detective told me that he is actively pursuing the case as identity theft but does not hold out much hope of finding them as they have traced it to Mexico.

The detective, the Secretary of State, and the Department of Commerce told me that this happens all the time. Usually it is them contacting the notary to inform them that their identity was stolen rather than the notary calling them. They said that unfortunately since everything is public information on the internet, it is the risk we take. The Mexican time share scam has been going on for many years and the Minnesota Department of Commerce actually has a division set up that works these cases. These scam companies have gotten quite elaborate and actually file business names, set up fake addresses, get local telephone numbers, letterhead, websites that have pictures of the people that supposedly work there, and they steal the identities of local notaries, real estate agents, and escrow officers to look legitimate. The Department of Commerce told me that they almost never catch them because they aren't even operating in this country. All they can do is take the complaints and send out cease and desist letters . . . that is all they do.

While we can't stop these savvy criminals from what they do, we can learn to be aware of what is going on out there and learn to protect ourselves the best we can. I believe we as notaries are the only public servant that is required to list our home address on the internet. That has got to change.

This is just another example why we should be compensated fairly in this industry. Our private information is out there for the entire world to see and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. You never know who can get their hands on it and what they may do with it.

Thank you for listening to my story. Good luck to all, continued success to everyone, and please stay safe out there.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 This Is A Must Read Post For All My Notary Rotary Family - PegiT_MN on 6/25/17 11:25am
 contact the domain host and tell them this story Pegi. -  Cari on 6/25/17 11:28am
 Thank You Cari. - PegiT_MN on 6/25/17 11:30am
 Here's the who.is information regarding the website. -  Cari on 6/25/17 11:38am
 Here's the site contact information. I'd give them a piece -  Cari on 6/25/17 11:40am
 I Just Called Uni-Registry at 1-949-276-3456 And Reported It - PegiT_MN on 6/25/17 7:36pm
 Re: I Just Called Uni-Registry at 1-949-276-3456 And Reported It - PegiT_MN on 6/25/17 7:37pm
 Re: I Just Called Uni-Registry at 1-949-276-3456 And Reported It -  Cari on 6/26/17 6:24am
 Re: This Is A Must Read Post For All My Notary Rotary Family -  Cheryl Elliott on 6/25/17 11:32am
 When I googled their phone number from the site -  Cheryl Elliott on 6/25/17 11:39am
 Our main function is to prevent fraud - BearPaw/CO on 6/25/17 12:07pm
 Re: Our main function is to prevent fraud - SteveS/CA on 6/25/17 12:28pm
 Steve: MN does not allow POBoxes as far as I know - BearPaw/CO on 6/25/17 1:21pm
 Re: Steve: MN does not allow POBoxes as far as I know - PegiT_MN on 6/25/17 6:14pm
 Re: Steve: MN does not allow POBoxes as far as I know - SteveS/CA on 6/25/17 6:48pm
 Re: Steve: MN does not allow POBoxes as far as I know - PegiT_MN on 6/25/17 6:58pm
 Re: Steve: MN does not allow POBoxes as far as I know - SteveS/CA on 6/25/17 9:00pm
 Re: Steve: MN does not allow POBoxes as far as I know - LKT/CA on 6/25/17 9:46pm
 fortunately for IL notaries, home addresses are no longer -  Cari on 6/25/17 12:42pm
 Re: This Is A Must Read Post For All My Notary Rotary Family - grapebed on 6/25/17 12:18pm
 Re: This Is A Must Read Post For All My Notary Rotary Family - Luckydog on 6/25/17 4:46pm
 No These People Aren't Even Located In Minnesota - PegiT_MN on 6/25/17 6:00pm
 Sounds like a great 60 minutes peice for their show n/m - Luckydog on 6/25/17 6:25pm
 Let's Add Them To Signing Central! - PegiT_MN on 6/25/17 7:04pm
 Re: Lets Add Them To Signing Central! - SteveS/CA on 6/25/17 9:09pm
 Don't recommend clicking on link in above post. -  JanetK_CA on 6/25/17 7:49pm
 Re: Don - SteveS/CA on 6/25/17 9:21pm
 Thank You For The Advice Steve - PegiT_MN on 6/25/17 9:32pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.