Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Wake up call for notaries/NSAs
Posted by  Cheryl Elliott of CA on 2/25/18 12:16pm Msg #590317
Last night I received a call from a CA notary who has been doing loan signings for 6 years after losing her corporate job as middle management in the medical industry. She and I connected over the phone, texted and emailed each other, sharing resources and trends. After the Santa Rosa fires last year, she began reviewing her financial resources and realized our industry has taken such a hit over the last five years and her #s were suffering, she decided to look for a full time career opportunity. Signing fees are going down the tubes, and the number of companies/signing volume had been dwindling. After a short-lived job search, she landed a job five minutes from her home, pays $70K, full benefits and major perks. She found many jobs that she was interested in along the way. The job she accepted is a management position and the business owners are wonderful to work for. She supervises 33 personnel in the company.

My friend is 64, college educated, unmarried, flexible (don't you have to be to be an NSA today?), competent, likeable, poised and knowledgeable in our business. She had all the attributes for being a successful NSA, which she was until the business ended up in the toilet. She felt that since there are so many great work opportunities out there today, many newcomers to the mobile notary signing industry might want to look at permanent work pursuits rather than taking jobs at $50-$85 with all the risk of slow/no pay companies that dominate our industry today. The job market seems to be strong in California. What about your state?

My friend wrote to me:

"The sites that had a lot of good jobs posted and had an easy to use format were:

www.ziprecruiter.cxm and www.indeed.cxm

"I also found www.glassdoor.cxm to be very useful in getting survey information on what current jobs are paying & employee reviews on the companies."

I think she's onto something. I just know that it must be hard to break into this industry these days, getting $000 fees when no one wants to pay while they expect notaries to spin on a dime in dangerous weather conditions, faxbacks (2 signings for the price of 1), and then get to courier before 5pm.

So folks are spending lots of money to find out how to make $150-$200 a signing and how to get title companies to hire you. That's a tricky sticky widget because those opportunities are not that easy to find, these days, given the market conditions, peeps vs. volume of business, and all the middle men who are scalping the bulk of the notary fees at the onset.

I wish her all the best. I know she'll succeed at whatever she pursues. We'll always be friends.

PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Wake up call for notaries/NSAs -  Cheryl Elliott on 2/25/18 12:16pm
 Re: Wake up call for notaries/NSAs - grapebed on 2/25/18 1:09pm
 Re: Wake up call for notaries/NSAs - Luckydog on 2/25/18 6:20pm
 Re: Wake up call for notaries/NSAs - SteveS/CA on 2/26/18 9:44am
 Re: Wake up call for notaries/NSAs - Shoshana/AZ on 2/25/18 1:37pm
 Re: Wake up call for notaries/NSAs - Louisiana33 on 2/26/18 11:47am
 Great post Cheryl! - FeliseSoCal on 2/26/18 5:39pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.