Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

The last two paragraphs say it all...looks like RI
Posted by Linda_H/FL of FL on 6/21/18 9:02am Msg #594886
is moving toward "attorney-only"

"In light of the various statutory provisions which have created a confusing legal landscape in Rhode Island for anyone in the title insurance business, the Committee recommends that no civil or criminal proceedings be initiated against SouthCoast Title and its agents, but that the Court make a pronouncement that the following acts constitute the practice of law and can only be performed by a lawyer: (a) conducting a title examination to determine the marketability of title, and (b) conducting a real estate closing.

The Committee further recommends that the aforementioned services, as the practice of law, can only be performed by lawyers in either an unincorporated law firm or as a law firm licensed by the Supreme Court pursuant to Article II, Rule 10 of the Supreme Court Rules."

I like the footnote that emphasizes those states that are attorney only, i.e. Massachusetts, Georgia, Delaware, South Carolina, West Virginia - I see they also noted Alabama....hmmm

Thanks Linda.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 RI - Supreme Court Committee report on UPL in closing -  Linda_in_IN on 6/21/18 7:08am
 The last two paragraphs say it all...looks like RI - Linda_H/FL on 6/21/18 9:02am
 Re: The last two paragraphs say it all...looks like RI -  VT_Syrup on 6/21/18 9:12am
 That's a pro se stance and you'd each be acting as your - Linda_H/FL on 6/21/18 9:17am
 A different RI view ... - BobbiCT on 6/21/18 9:18am
 Re: A different RI view ... -  Joe Ewing on 6/21/18 11:36pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.