Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Affidavit (Jurat or Acknowledgment)
Posted by  VT_Syrup of VT on 10/15/18 8:06am Msg #599418
My take is that lots of people can give oaths, not just notaries. There are forms related to elections in my state where the voter administers an oath to him/herself; I've been told by an official in the Secretary of State's office this is the case. Then there are the various fraternal organizations (Masons, Elks, etc.) that give oaths to members, Civil Air Patrol, Boy Scouts, and so on. Many of these self-administered oaths will NOT subject the signer to the pains and penalties of perjury, but whether the author of the document wrote the document in a way that will do what the author desires is not my concern.

So if I can't get an answer from title, I presume the language at the beginning means the signer is administering an oath to him/herself. The certificate at the end is asking ME to take an acknowledgement.

But if the language at the beginning says something like "Having first personally appeared before the undersigned officer and been duly sworn..." that's a clear request for me to administer an oath. The certificate at the end is a clear request to take an acknowledgement. So I do both; I fill out the ack certificate and attach a jurat.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Affidavit (Jurat or Acknowledgment) - Cheryl/SC on 10/13/18 11:35am
 Yep, I call these invented things a Jurack...either notarize - Lee/AR on 10/13/18 12:13pm
 Re: Affidavit (Jurat or Acknowledgment) -  Roger_OH on 10/13/18 12:26pm
 I would love to agree with you, Roger OH. However, - Yoli/CA on 10/13/18 4:06pm
 Yoli, I'M not determining the type of notarization... -  Roger_OH on 10/13/18 9:16pm
 Re: Yoli, I - Yoli/CA on 10/14/18 9:34am
 Re: Yoli, I -  JanetK_CA on 10/15/18 2:55am
 Re: Affidavit (Jurat or Acknowledgment) -  Ilene C. Seidel on 10/13/18 2:30pm
 Glad Florida is clear on this..FL Statute 117.03 - Linda_H/FL on 10/13/18 4:29pm
 That's what I'm talkin' about, Linda!! n/m -  Roger_OH on 10/13/18 9:18pm
 Re: Affidavit (Jurat or Acknowledgment) -  VT_Syrup on 10/15/18 8:06am
 Certificate: Not understanding the need to attach anything. - NVLSlady/VA on 10/15/18 6:01pm
 Re: Certificate: Not understanding the need to attach anything. -  VT_Syrup on 10/15/18 6:56pm
 Should read "before me", not "before be" n/m -  VT_Syrup on 10/15/18 6:58pm
 Write in: Acknowledged "AND SWORN" (Done). n/m - NVLSlady/VA on 10/16/18 9:40pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.