Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Heavy duty stapler for notarized docs?
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 1/31/19 2:31pm Msg #602707
I always just staple an attached loose certificate to the signature page. That approach has passed muster with the SOS office when getting an apostille attached, so it's OK for CA, at least.

Here's my take for various other situations (from my CA perspective, of course...), based on what I believe is the purpose of, as well as the word of, the law. If a certificate is on the same page, then it's "part of" the document, since the signature and notarial certificate can't be separated, as long as the entire cert, notary signature, stamp, etc. are all on the same page, too. (If not, I replace.)

If a document creator includes an acceptable notary cert as the last page of a document, then IMO, it depends... I look for things like whether there's a bar code included, are there page numbers that continue to the notary certificate, etc. If there are clear indications that the document needs a notary certificate and one is included, i.e. that they belong together, then I don't typically staple.

If there's any question or doubt, stapling two pages together is easy. However, it's also easy to remove a staple, so I try to keep an eye out for situations where there's no clear indicator on either page that the notary certificate belongs to that specific signature page. In those cases, I write something like "see attached...", along with other document details, right on the bottom of the notary certificate. My own notary certs have space and lines for the usual types of "optional" info (including name of document, how many pages, etc.), but if there's one provided, (and I've seen many that have nothing more than just the required verbiage) I've been known to write in some of that info underneath my signature and stamp. The idea is to provide clear cross-referencing that they belong together.

I've never stapled the entire document together (unless the client wants it done) as I think that's likely to create more problems than it would solve, both for the notary and the document recipient. The latter could end up struggling to remove a heavy duty staple, potentially tearing docs (if not tearing out hair), given how common it is to scan docs these days.

Much of this applies more to GNW than anything else. But I can think of a couple of title co's, notorious for wanting lots of their docs notarized, who typically just attach a loose cert with no other details on either page.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Heavy duty stapler for notarized docs? -  VT_Syrup on 1/31/19 10:59am
 Re: Heavy duty stapler for notarized docs? - Luckydog on 1/31/19 11:43am
 TYVM, LD. That is some stapler! n/m - grapebed on 1/31/19 12:28pm
 Re: Heavy duty stapler for notarized docs? -  JanetK_CA on 1/31/19 2:31pm
 Oregon & stapling -  VT_Syrup on 1/31/19 4:04pm
 Re: Oregon & stapling -  JanetK_CA on 1/31/19 4:27pm
 Re: Oregon & stapling - MikeC/TX on 1/31/19 5:58pm
 Re: Oregon & stapling -  VT_Syrup on 1/31/19 8:50pm
 organic? lol! please site source. I read 2018 Oregon Guide -  sigtogo/OR on 1/31/19 6:55pm
 Re: organic? lol! please site source. I read 2018 Oregon Guide -  VT_Syrup on 1/31/19 8:30pm
 My thoughts mirror MikeC/TX regarding the 'receiving end' -  Christine/OK on 1/31/19 6:07pm
 Also agree with MikeC n/m - LisaKT/CA on 2/1/19 11:17am
 Stapling Loose Notarial Certificates in Colorado - ABC Legal Docs, LLC - Jerry Lucas on 2/1/19 11:28am
 Re: Stapling Loose Notarial Certificates in Colorado -  janCA on 2/1/19 2:57pm
 Stapling overkill--reminds me of the drug stores that put -  MW/VA on 2/1/19 7:10pm
 So funny! "drug stores that put so many"________:)________ n/m -  Christine/OK on 2/2/19 7:15am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.