Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Certifying a copy of a copy of a copy
Posted by  VT_Syrup of VT on 6/19/19 8:11am Msg #607631
What I like about RULONA as recommended by the Uniform Law Commission and adopted by my state is that, in 12 days I'll be able to decline any request for notarial services except unfair discrimination that's forbidden by some law other than the notary law (like on the basis of race or religion). If they were to restore the ability to make certified copies, I'd be able to turn down requests that didn't smell right.

But if we're going to allow certified copies in this day and age, we have to deal with digital documents, because more and more documents are "born digital". The problem with digital documents is that nothing is an original in the same sense as a paper document. The author gets into Microsoft Word. As she works, there is one copy in the cache inside the microprocessor, another copy in the RAM, another copy on the hard drive, and another copy of each page in the graphics processor. When the author is finished and closes Word, the copy on the hard drive gets synced to the copy in the cloud.

Some legislatures have defined certain digital documents to be "originals" but that's a legal fiction. In reality, all digital documents are copies, so if you want to make a certified copy of a digital document, you are always making a copy of a copy. So if notaries are going to be making certified copies of digital documents, there ought to be training about when it makes sense to do this, and when it doesn't. There should also be the flexibility to refuse requests that are suspicious or insecure.

Later,
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 FL notaries: New certificate requirement - FlaNotary2 on 6/18/19 2:41pm
 To clarify - this takes effect 1/1/2020 n/m - FlaNotary2 on 6/18/19 2:43pm
 Re: FL notaries: New certificate requirement - Luckydog on 6/18/19 2:53pm
 Re: FL notaries: New certificate requirement - FlaNotary2 on 6/18/19 2:58pm
 Thanks! Great info! n/m - Luckydog on 6/18/19 2:59pm
 Re: FL notaries: New certificate requirement - Laureen/LA on 6/18/19 4:34pm
 Re: FL notaries: New certificate requirement -  VT_Syrup on 6/18/19 6:52pm
 Wow..I just saw this part..and whoa... - Linda_H/FL on 6/18/19 8:49pm
 Re: Wow..I just saw this part..and whoa... -  VT_Syrup on 6/18/19 8:58pm
 Certifying a copy of a copy of a copy - Linda_H/FL on 6/19/19 7:52am
 Re: Certifying a copy of a copy of a copy -  VT_Syrup on 6/19/19 8:11am
 We used to certify “this is a true copy of an original doc” - FlaNotary2 on 6/19/19 8:22am
 Re: We used to certify “this is a true copy of an original doc” -  VT_Syrup on 6/19/19 8:29am
 I see a huge potential for fraud if we're not certifying -  MW/VA on 6/19/19 10:17am
 Thank you Robert :) n/m - Linda_H/FL on 6/18/19 3:40pm
 Was reading this at work today - this part really gave - Linda_H/FL on 6/20/19 3:20pm
 That just shows how crazy legislators can be. n/m -  Ernest__CT on 6/20/19 5:39pm
 Governor signed it n/m - FlaNotary2 on 6/21/19 11:42am
 Thanks. n/m - Linda_H/FL on 6/21/19 12:03pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.