Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Thank you, Yoli...seems clear as day
Posted by VT_Syrup of VT on 4/7/24 7:50am Msg #648190
I'm not a tax expert either. I see two ways to look at this, fairness, and IRS instructions.

From a fairness point of view, if you subtract your notary fee gross income, you are subtracting both the profit and expenses of the notary part of your business. And when you complete Schedule C to figure out the profit of your entire business, you subtract all your expenses. So the part of the expenses that are due to notary work are being subtracted twice.

As far as IRS instructions go, see the instructions for Schedule SE at

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sse.pdf

This says

Fees received for services performed as a notary public. If you had no other income subject to SE tax, enter “Exempt—Notary” on Schedule 2 (Form 1040), line 4. Don’t file Schedule SE. However, if you had other earnings of $400 or more subject to SE tax, enter “Exempt—Notary” and the amount of your NET PROFIT as a notary public from Schedule C on the dotted line to the left of Schedule SE, line 3. Subtract that amount from the total of lines 1a, 1b, and 2, and enter the result on line 3. [My capitals.]

It looks like the method that Gavina's CPA is to divide up the expenses between notary and non-notary work in proportion to how much of the gross income is notary or non-notary. That seems reasonable to me. I bet most of the forum participants would have a tough time classifying most of their expenses as strictly notary or strictly non-notary; most of them are mixed. I don't know if there's a law or rule saying the CPA's method is mandatory.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 notary self employment tax - Gavina Franklin on 4/5/24 11:14am
 Re: notary self employment tax -  Yoli/CA on 4/5/24 12:05pm
 Re: notary self employment tax - NJordan/IA on 4/5/24 12:22pm
 So that's the gotcha if state doesn't set max. N fee?? n/m - Lee/AR on 4/5/24 1:27pm
 Re: notary self employment tax - Gavina Franklin on 4/6/24 9:30am
 Re: notary self employment tax -  Yoli/CA on 4/6/24 10:32am
 Thank you, Yoli...seems clear as day - Linda_H/FL on 4/6/24 8:39pm
 Re: Thank you, Yoli...seems clear as day -  JanetK_CA on 4/6/24 10:34pm
 Re: Thank you, Yoli...seems clear as day - VT_Syrup on 4/7/24 7:50am
 Re: Thank you, Yoli...seems clear as day -  Doris_CO on 4/7/24 4:26pm
 Re: notary self employment tax - Jules on 4/8/24 2:33pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.