Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

When the shoe doesn't feel so great on the other foot
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 2/17/17 6:18pm Msg #69615
During the campaign, Donald Trump absolutely LOVED Wikileaks - bragged about all the bad things that were coming out about the DNC and Hillary, and asking for more. By one account I read, he mentioned Wikileaks 154 times during the course of his rallies.

Now, of course, leaks are a terrible thing and he wants to find and punish the "low-life leakers" who gave the media information he didn't want the American public (or his Vice-President) to know about his National Security Adviser. Trump's situational ethics are amazing - as long as it's not being done to him, it's perfectly OK and we need more of it, but as soon as it affects him personally it has to be stopped.

He has no more hope of doing that than he does of commanding the tide not to come in. One of the things he has yet to learn is that Washington leaks like a sieve - leaks are how reporters source their stories. Anyone who lived through Watergate remembers that a leaker is what got Woodward and Bernstein the story that ultimately culminated in Nixon's resignation.

I saw an interview the other day with John Dean, who was Nixon's White house counsel and spent some time in jail for his involvement in the Watergate scandal. Among the things he said was that he is starting to see some of the same things in what Trump is doing that Nixon did - the attitude that "I'm the President, I can do what I want". One of the things he pointed to was Trump's comments the other day that he didn't direct Flynn to talk to the Russians, but he would have. That was almost exactly what Nixon said about the break-in of the office of Daniel Ellsberg's psychiatrist - I didn't direct it to be done, but I would have (for those who don't know who Ellsberg was, google "Pentagon Papers" - it's what started the events that led to the Watergate burglaries).

PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 When the shoe doesn't feel so great on the other foot - MikeC/TX on 2/17/17 6:18pm
 Re: When the shoe doesn -  JanetK_CA on 2/18/17 2:30pm
 Two differerent things - Moneyman/TX on 2/24/17 3:17pm
 Re: Two differerent things - MikeC/TX on 2/25/17 5:57pm
 There has been classified info leaked - Moneyman/TX on 3/6/17 12:37pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.