Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Trump and "beautiful monuments"
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 8/17/17 10:14pm Msg #70747
Donald Trump seems really upset that "beautiful monuments" are being removed - but a look at his own history shows how situational this is.

Trumpsters, google "Donald Trump Bonwit Teller" and you will see that what I say below is true.

In 1980, Trump was in the process of demolishing the Bonwit Teller building on NYC's 5th Avenue as he prepared to build Trump Tower. The facade of the Bonwit Teller building had two beautiful Art-Deco friezes and some bronze grill work that the Metropolitan Museum of Art wanted to preserve as examples of early 20th Century art. I can still remember seeing that facade in my trips to NYC - it was absolutely beautiful.

Trump initially agreed to the preservation in exchange for a tax deduction, but then he got impatient because the attempts to preserve it were slowing down construction. So while the Met was in the middle of arranging the removal of the friezes and the grill work, Trump had them destroyed without warning, claiming an appraisal that said they were worthless. The Met disagreed, valuing them at $200K, and they were stunned by the destruction of a valuable piece of NYC history.

http://tinyurl.com/y8557vnx

Trump, as usual, never apologized for what he did; in fact, he later called it "junk".

So when he talks about "beautiful monuments", he's only referring to things that don't affect him directly. If it gets in his way, it's gone.
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 Trump and "beautiful monuments" - MikeC/TX on 8/17/17 10:14pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.