Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Abe got it right, but no one was listening...
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 8/26/17 6:57pm Msg #70814
And then they assassinated him.

After surrendering, Robert E. Lee argued that there should be no monuments to the Confederacy so that the country could begin to heal.

No one listened to him either.

The Confederate monuments started being erected during the Jim Crow years as a way of intimidating the blacks. There was never any attempt to heal the division, and that continues today.

As a second generation American I don't have a dog in the Civil War fight either, but I care very much about my country. You cannot excuse the treason of the Confederacy with a "kumbaya" moment, especially since people in those states continue to insist that they were right and the Confederacy should continue to be honored in some way... To quote a phrase often used by the Trumpsters - you lost, get over it snowflake. If they would admit they were wrong, I would be willing to stop calling them traitors. My guess is that's not gonna happen in my lifetime.
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 With Malice toward none, - FGX/NJ on 8/26/17 5:36pm
 Abe got it right, but no one was listening... - MikeC/TX on 8/26/17 6:57pm
 Re: With Malice toward none, - FGX/NJ on 8/27/17 7:09am
 Re: With Malice toward none, - HisHughness on 8/27/17 8:25am
 Re: With Malice toward none, - FGX/NJ on 8/27/17 1:18pm
 Re: With Malice toward none, - MikeC/TX on 8/27/17 3:24pm
 Re: With Malice toward none, - FGX/NJ on 8/27/17 4:32pm
 Re: With Malice toward none, - MikeC/TX on 8/27/17 5:11pm
 Re: With Malice toward none, - bagger on 8/28/17 5:20pm
 Re: With Malice toward none, - MikeC/TX on 8/28/17 5:22pm
 Re: With Malice toward none, - bagger on 8/28/17 6:50pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.