Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Understanding the Mueller report
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 4/25/19 6:18pm Msg #72430
Trump showed his ignorance of the Constitution yet again when he tweeted that a President can "only be impeached for High Crimes and Misdemeanors, and I haven't committed any crimes!". The phrase is discussed several times in the Federalist Papers and it's clear that it doesn't refer only to actual criminal activity, but also to things like maladministration and usurpation of power - a public official not necessarily committing crimes but violating the public trust.

Trump also tweeted that if the Dems try to impeach him, he'll go straight to SCOTUS - sorry Donny, SCOTUS has already ruled (1993?) that the Constitution does not allow the Court to get involved in impeachment proceedings. It's strictly up to Congress. I believe that particular decision involved the impeachment of a federal judge, but the decision was clear - impeachment and subsequent removal from office can only be dealt with by Congress.

It is a political process, and like any other political process you have to gauge the potential repercussions. IF the House impeaches, there is no chance the current Senate will convict - the votes are just not there unless the evidence is compelling enough to get over that 67 vote barrier.

In Nixon's case, he was told by Republican Senate leadership that the evidence was so strong that he WOULD be convicted - so he resigned, choosing to jump ratther than being pushed.

The Senate declined to convict Bill Clinton after his impeachment, and his approval rating went UP. That's the danger in impeaching Trump - he gets a bump that can carry him through the 2020 election to another term. In fact, I think he's trying to taunt the Denms into impeaching him, believing that it will work for him the same way it worked for Clinton.

In my opinion, impeachment without possibiity of convicition is a meaningless exercise. I don't see it as an abdication of constitutional reponsibility, but more as an acceptance of the political reality. The House has the option of censuring him for his behavior. That has no legal meaning, but it's another stain on his presidency going into 2020. I think we need the American people to make this decision.
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 Understanding the Mueller report - HisHughness on 4/20/19 4:25pm
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - bagger on 4/20/19 5:39pm
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - MikeC/TX on 4/20/19 10:13pm
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - HisHughness on 4/21/19 1:57pm
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - bagger on 4/22/19 1:03pm
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - MikeC/TX on 4/23/19 6:13pm
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - HisHughness on 4/24/19 6:49pm
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - MikeC/TX on 4/25/19 6:18pm
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - bagger on 4/26/19 3:24pm
 Impeachment! - CH2inCA on 4/23/19 11:40am
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - HisHughness on 5/1/19 12:21pm
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - MikeC/TX on 5/2/19 5:45pm
 S/B "Sycophantic . . . - HisHughness on 5/3/19 10:24am
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - bagger on 5/4/19 1:22pm
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - MikeC/TX on 5/6/19 7:15pm
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - bagger on 5/7/19 9:14am
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - MikeC/TX on 5/9/19 7:51pm
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - bagger on 5/10/19 9:43am
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - MikeC/TX on 5/13/19 6:13pm
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - bagger on 5/16/19 2:01pm
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - MikeC/TX on 5/16/19 6:49pm
 Re: Understanding the Mueller report - HisHughness on 5/10/19 11:47am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.