Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

PrevNextFirstLast SearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #36856

11 replies
Pickup trucks, dogs and whisky
By Bear900/CA on 2/16/24 2:56pm

When I drive my 1-ton heavy duty diesel there's no music that makes sense inside of it but Country.

And you learn a lot....

This morning, I learned that Tennessee is passing a no-cold beer sale bill. Unless it's at a bar you have to buy it warm, take it home and cool it off if you wish. Supposedly to cut down drunken drivers.

I....don't think that will work.

I also heard for the first time a very old Toby Keith song, Whisky Girl. What's happening to me??

http://youtu.be/N44pIQ0fJKA?si=x0iYZzvWwlklAbO6

I see cowboy boots and hat in the future. Love driving my rig...

Msg #36848

1 replies
Another shake, rattle and roll
By  Mike Goodey on 2/16/24 10:28am

At approximately 11:30pm last night my wife said it sounded like a huge truck rambling out of control, in front of our house, then this huge jolt that shook the house. She was in bed upstairs, I had fallen asleep downstairs and didn't feel anything! Unusual because I usually feel the earthquakes.

It was centered near Rancho Cucamonga, just north of us and measured about 3.8 on the scale.
Haven't heard of any injuries or major damage which is good. Guess that means we have moved a few feet closer to the ocean.
Stay safe everyone!

Msg #36846

0 replies
Finally good news to report
By  Mike Goodey on 2/15/24 10:24pm

This is always a chilling situation. A student decides to bring weapons to school to begin targeting others. He has a list of five victims picked out.
He is a student at Ontario Christian High School, about 2 miles from our home, has been fascinated by school shootings in the past. He is fixated on the Columbine Shooting in Colorado several years ago. He has found out the response times of police and especially the Ontario police force.

So he has his plans and they include activating this attack around the anniversary of the Columbine attack. He has 7 rifles, 2 revolvers, 1 handgun and a shotgun. He also has equipped himself with 1,000 rounds of ammo.
Apparently another student saw something out of kilter and informed the principal. He, in turn, contacted the Ontario Police Department and they sent out investigators and after many statements from witnesses, the student was arrested and yesterday he was officially charged with 6 felonies including 5 Attempted murder charges.

The student who spoke up is being considered a "hero" for his fast acting and following the "see something, say something" rule. I can't imagine what the kids who were on that list could be thinking right now.

Msg #36844

1 replies
Falcon vs falcon, and other birds of feather
By Bear900/CA on 2/15/24 5:02pm

Grabbed a handful of peanuts in the shell to watch a show outside. This was bigger than a circus, but peanuts will do.

In a couple of minutes, I saw the SpaceX Falcon 9 lift off the Vandenberg Space Force pad. As the crow flies, I'm 20 miles away from Vandenberg so I can see the lift-off with the naked eye. Launches are fairly routine, but we never get tired of seeing them, especially on a clear afternoon like today. From my vantage point the flames aren't feathery as you see up close. It looks more like a very bright, and wide, electric filament. The rockets always curve south at about a 90-degree radius before stage 1 detaches. At that point the contrails stop. If stage 1 lands back to earth it gets really super exciting. But nowadays they land out on the drone ship, and we don't get to see them at all.

I keep looking anyway, hoping.

Instead, what I saw were two birds of prey soaring in formation extremely high. They can soar up to 3000 feet. When they spot their prey, often a smaller bird, they can nose-dive from 150 to 200 mph. Now THIS was getting exciting!

I turned my back for about 2 seconds to grab more peanuts and they disappeared. That was fast! I think I heard a sound barrier crack. Heh.

You can see what I saw about 38 minutes into this clip. The Falcon 9 that is. Still looking for the other 2.

http://www.youtube.com/live/irkP3_CmVDY?si=GDchAe6SuZn1fHWT

Msg #36842

8 replies
Morning walks
By Bear900/CA on 2/15/24 10:11am

Something to listen to while you enjoy your cuppa....

http://youtu.be/Mh54tOnaPWE?si=ypb3orTTiwU7g4Ej

It's been a brutal winter for morning walks. There have been mornings I've worn every conceivable type and bit of clothing to get me out the door. From Longjohns to gloves to knit caps and hooded sweatshirts and vests to my clown-like bright blue Altras with bright yellow soles. A spectacle? Probably.

No one else has been walking for months. Every other morning, I tell myself I'll take a break but most mornings I get out and beat the path. I think the neighbors set their clocks by me. In fact, I think they are cheering me on. I get a lot of smiles and waves, mostly women who are loading up to head out. Some engage in small chit-chat though I don't break a step.

It rained last night so it was a bit warmer for this morning's walk, but we have seven days of straight rain ahead of us. I may have to take a break.

The garden is also calling....

Msg #36836

0 replies
Porch pirates
By  Mike Goodey on 2/12/24 3:21pm

I read this a lot on Next-door Chino. But I have to say I saw one yesterday where the homeowner posted a delivery driver bring a large box, couldn't' see what it was exactly, maybe some type of electronics, take a picture of it then take the box back with him.
He didn't realize there was a camera at the front door and caught him red handed but couldn't identify any vehicle.
The homeowner stated that they would contact the company that supposedly delivered the product and expected him to get canned.

You have to wonder, did this guy want what was in the box so badly that he didn't care if he was being filmed? Especially knowing so many homes have Ring devices or other security measures.

Msg #36830

6 replies
Super Bowl
By  Mike Goodey on 2/11/24 11:06pm

Well it was a good game, lived up to the hype. My son-in-law wanted to go and would have spent $7,500 for his seat but couldn't get any of his friends to go for that price. My daughter, his wife, said she would go but he didn't want to spend double that price for nose bleed seats.

The 49ers played well enough in the 1st half but the Chiefs "D" dominated San Francisco into too many 3 and outs in the second half. Also Deebo Samuel came out of the game due to injury as did George Kittle. These two players are a must for the Niners to win any game. Luckily they both came back to play but SF had to settle for too many field goals due to mistakes on the offense.

Got to give KC their cheers for they were able to pull the game out in the end. Patrick Mahooes is a wizard at QB.

Msg #36825

8 replies
My $$ is on the SF 49Rs
By  Cheryl Elliott on 2/11/24 11:37am

It will be a memorable, much celebrated NFL Super Bowl event. This morning I read this story about the very first Super Bowl game in 1967 at the LA Coliseum. Very historic and nostalgic. Hope some of you will enjoy it too.

http://www.edhat.com/news/a-cheese-lovers-pizza-super-bowl-one-has-history-in-santa-barbara/?utm_source=newsletter-476&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily+Newsletter

Msg #36824

0 replies
RIP Seiji Ozawa
By SC/CA on 2/10/24 6:08pm

“The internationally acclaimed maestro, with his trademark mop of salt-and-pepper hair, led the Boston Symphony Orchestra from 1973 to 2002, longer than any other conductor in the orchestra’s history. From 2002 to 2010, he was the music director of the Vienna State Opera.”

A nice write-up about him:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/acclaimed-japanese-conductor-seiji-ozawa-dies-age-88-107092695

Some good (short) videos:

http://youtu.be/WkIzajyNKuc?si=Q7tgMuDaoo8Tu-q-

http://youtu.be/u-S3Lb6Nl0Q?si=XXA7EC5xjcw8hLY8

“Music can link the hearts of people — transcending words, borders, religion, and politics. It is my hope that through music, we can be reminded that we are all of the same human race living on the same planet. And that we are united,” Ozawa said in a statement.

I had the privilege of seeing him a few times. He had incredible, enthusiastic, and contagious energy; with his hair bushy and wild, he was passionate and so gifted. I met him on stage after a concert in Tanglewood, MA (through Mstislav Rostropovich, who I personally knew). It was a great honor to be brought on stage and be introduced to him. He was exhausted and energized and very kind.

I didn't know that he was also an athlete and a big Red Sox fan. I like how he equates (in one of the video interviews above) skiing to conducting - a matter of focus. A life well-lived. RIP Seiji Ozawa.

Msg #36822

1 replies
I saw this limerick, and thought it was clever to use
By SC/CA on 2/9/24 11:29am

mathematics. Enjoy! Two for one! :-)

The British wordplay and recreational mathematics expert Leigh Mercer (1893–1977) devised the following mathematical limerick:

12 + 144 + 20 + 3√4/7 + (5 × 11) = 92 + 0

This is read as follows:

A dozen, a gross, and a score
Plus three times the square root of four
Divided by seven
Plus five times eleven
Is nine squared and not a bit more

Msg #36817

0 replies
Year of the Dragon starts Saturday, 2/10/2024
By  Yoli/CA on 2/6/24 10:40am

http://www.thechinesezodiac.org/year-of-the-dragon/

I was born under the sign of the Horse. Guess I should keep working .... Wink

Msg #36815

1 replies
Rest in Peace, Toby Keith - raising my red solo cup to you
By  Yoli/CA on 2/6/24 8:44am

Succumbed to stomach cancer 2/5/2024.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/toby-keith-dies-at-62-from-stomach-cancer-bobby-bones-stephen-baldwin-more-pay-tribute/ar-BB1hRuOc

Msg #36807

5 replies
Anniversary
By  Mike Goodey on 2/3/24 9:43pm

My wife and I were invited to the 10th anniversary of the Sports Nut Pizza celebration. Our oldest grandson Garret, is an assistant manager and his older sister, Reese works there as well.
They had music, a DJ, door prizes, face painting plus free ice cream and fun and games.

For every $10 spent got you a ticket to put in for one of 12 door prizes. Well, my daughter won a very nice cooking tray and accessory and I won a Pacifico ice chest. The only reason I had a chance was that I was elected to buy the beer. So my son meets up with me as I’m waiting at the bar to get my order. Mind you this place is packed! I’ve been here a couple of times since my grandson has been working and have never seen it so packed.
My son tells wife tells me to get 4 mugs for the beer so my son suggests we get a pitcher of beer instead of 4 glasses, then thinks that maybe we get 2 pitchers because we don’t want to wait 20 minutes at the bar again. So we get 2 pitchers and as we get to our table outside we find out that my son-in-law Aaron, is not drinking. I’m thinking “Great” now my son and wife have to polish off 2 pitchers of beer for lunch. 5 glasses later I’m feeling the beer and after finishing some Antipasta salad, some wings and a slice of pizza, I’m ready to go home. Good thing it was good beer, 805. Now of course we are watching our 2 youngest grandkids, Rhett and Blake, because their parents went to Las Vegas to celebrate a good friends birthday.
We make it to their house, it’s time for dinner for the grandkids, the kids barely ate anything because they kept wanting to play games. Two hours later after getting up from the sofa I ask my wife “Was I sleeping?” “Yes but at least you weren’t snoring.”

Msg #36801

10 replies
California notaries please report in
By  Yoli/CA on 2/1/24 9:40am

California is experiencing some heavy storms (wind, rain and snow). In the Sacramento area, last night’s storm brought 55 mph winds, heavy downpours with some thunder. We are blessed and had no damage. From the news on TV this morning, others were not so lucky. (Northern California)

Cheryl, how’re y’all holding up in your canyon? (Central California)

Bear, hope you and Mrs. Bear are ok and that your garden didn’t suffer any damage. (Central California)

Mike, hope you and the Mrs. are ok and that you’re not encountering any flooding. (Southern California)

Janet, are you okay in Southern California?

Storms aren’t done yet. Everyone, please be careful and stay safe.

Msg #36800

0 replies
RIP Miss Chita Rivera
By  Cheryl Elliott on 1/31/24 10:30am

There is only one of you. You gave us so much in all your art on stage, in front of the camera. God bless you and your family.

Msg #36798

2 replies
I pulled-up this quote the other day
By SC/CA on 1/30/24 2:15pm

and thought, this would be nice to share with the awesome NR gang:

“ And every day, the world will drag you by the hand, yelling ‘ This is important! And this is important! And this is important ! You need to worry about this! And this! And this! '

And each day, it’s up to you to yank your hand back, put it on your heart and say,

‘ No. this is what’s important!’

- Iain Thomas

Msg #36796

1 replies
Ever heard of this?
By  Mike Goodey on 1/29/24 4:07pm

My wife and I went to America's tires to replace the tires we bought from them in 2020. 4 years, how many miles? She drove 17,000 miles on Goodyear tires! They were supposed to be 60,000 mile tires.
We had gone to get air check and were told the front left was 2/32 and the other 3 were 3/32. We went in and the guy at the counter couldn't believe it!

He looked back on our history and saw that the mileage was 107,000 in 2020. My wife spouts out that the guy put the wrong mileage down. I'm thinking they are going to say "these people turned the odometer back."
Well my wife brought in all of our invoices and he surmised that it was put down incorrectly and we were correct. So we got 99% of our tire price from last time credited so we ended up paying less than half of what we figured.

Msg #36790

5 replies
AFC game
By  Mike Goodey on 1/28/24 6:04pm

Boy was I surprised the Kansas City Chiefs snuffed out Lamar Jackson and the Baltimore Ravens 17-10. From the start KC made their mark in the game and Jackson couldn't get his team in rhythm enough times to challenge.

The start of the 49er Lions game is not going the way I expected as the 9ers are down 7-0 with just under 5 to go in the 1st quarter.

Msg #36780

6 replies
RIP Melanie. thanks for the wonderful memories
By sigtogo/OR on 1/25/24 1:10pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCTMTflcuug

Msg #36777

3 replies
This must be California
By  Mike Goodey on 1/24/24 10:29pm

A little shake, rattle and roll. 4.2 centered SW of San Bernardino. I was upstairs and it went a good 4 seconds, then stopped, then went again for about 2 seconds. Luckily the water in the pool wasn't sloshing out as it has before.

PrevNextFirstLast SearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.