Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: I've heard from some people about the high cost of the
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 6/22/17 5:10pm Msg #28862
OK, I will now share something that I have not shared with many folks here, but now the subject has come around to something that is near to my heart.

In 2007, I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a cancer of the bone marrow that is treatable but not yet curable. Thanks to aggressive treatment, I had been in what passes for remission for almost 7 years. The cancer started to wake up again several months ago, and I began another round of oral chemotherapy.

There are two drugs in the protocol. One is dexamethasone, a steroid, and it costs me $2 per prescription (and as a bonus, I am totally wired for a day or two after I take it).

The chemotherapy drug is Revlimid, a drug manufactured by Celgene. Since it is an oral chemo rather than IV, it is not covered by my medical plans.

A one month supply of Revlimid consists of 21 pills.

The retail cost of that prescription is $15,200.41, and I have the documentation to prove it. Look at that number. For 21 pills. Every. Single. Month. The 41 cents is almost an insult.

I am lucky to have an oncology group that includes a patient assistance department. They were able to find grants, including through Celgene, that have reduced my out-of-pocket cost to $25/mo through the end of this year.

I don't know what happens after the end of this year - I imagine we go scrambling to find another grant or two to help me pay for this treatment if we can. If we can't - game over?

I don't agree that the cancer treatment centers are about the money - in my experience, they are about the patients and are just as upset about the high cost of drugs. Whether national healthcare will work or not is a question for JP - I can only tell you what I see from being in the middle of this, and wondering what's going to happen to me when the money runs out.
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Very interesting article about cancer -  Christine/OK on 6/22/17 8:24am
 I've heard from some people about the high cost of the -  MW/VA on 6/22/17 4:03pm
 Re: I've heard from some people about the high cost of the - MikeC/TX on 6/22/17 5:10pm
 Great, Mike! "reduced my out-of-pocket cost"- for my first 2 -  Christine/OK on 6/22/17 11:10pm
 I thought they had to cover anyone with "pre-existing -  MW/VA on 6/23/17 4:03pm
 Marilynn ,my 3rd battle was several years pre-Obama plan . . n/m -  Christine/OK on 6/23/17 4:10pm
 Re: Great, Mike! "reduced my out-of-pocket cost"- for my first 2 - MikeC/TX on 6/23/17 6:47pm
 Yay! n/m -  Christine/OK on 6/23/17 7:36pm
 "it's not the focus of my life." - Bear900/CA on 6/24/17 7:19am
 Thanks for sharing this, Mike. I've heard of some pills -  MW/VA on 6/23/17 4:05pm
 Yes, Marilynn, I've seen this many times & it's quite heart- -  Christine/OK on 6/23/17 4:11pm
 Re: Thanks for sharing this, Mike. I - MikeC/TX on 6/23/17 7:12pm
 Mike: " proactive medical team" => absolutely accurate stmt! n/m -  Christine/OK on 6/23/17 7:37pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.