Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: facet joint injury.....
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 6/3/17 3:10am Msg #28735
Ouch! Tell him from one man to another I can feel his pain. A quick Google shows a worn facet joint is a form of osteoarthritis. Happens to a lot of joints and a lot of people.

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/arthritis/treatment-options-facet-joint-pain

The first thing I did was get recommendations for the best orthopedic surgeon i could find. They will x-ray and then provide options.

My experience has been that ice and Alieve work better than ibuprofen and heat. Two doctors I went to suggested the same. The ER will most always dose with ibuprofen which didn't do much for me. Been to the ER for the back, in the middle of the night too. Weekend warrior lifestyle finally caught up with me.

Hopefully the first option given to him would be PT. There is no reversing arthritis and hopefully he can avoid surgery.

If he gets a prescription for PT make sure he goes to a DPT, or Dr of PT, preferably someone who has the latest knowledge and training. I've heard stories from others who chose a PT center just because it was close to home then complained it did them no good. Ask around. I use a sports center.

My current story: I overworked my knees and one shoulder over the last few years. I am seeing an orthopedic surgeon and DPT. Was told to take Alieve before and after physical activity that would aggravate the joints. In fact, good size dosages were suggested which I dont do. Before this I was honestly hoping for knee replacements because of crippling pain. Just get it over with i felt.

The Dr wanted me to try PT first and wrote up an order for a local center. I asked to change it to the same sports PT center working on my shoulder. The young lady I have is two years out of school and was top of her class (I looked her up) and loves what she does. This will make all the difference for getting the best from PT. Though I had cortisone shots in each knee that really helped, its sticking with the PT and continuing it on your own that pays off. i am extremely carefull, have been walking, riding my bike, working in the yard and garden, etc. Keeping my fingers crossed, but mostly following instructions from my PT.

The workouts I'm doing for all three joints is taking some time each day on my own as well as at therapy. It requires discipline, time and effort. You get out what you put in. Hopefully the Dr will suggest and give that option first. Not sure if they can give cortisone for the facet but arthritis is degenerative so if he can get it, do it!

Get to a good OS, a great DPT and hopefully he will get better!
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 facet joint injury..... - notarydi/CA on 6/2/17 1:46pm
 Re: facet joint injury..... - Bear900/CA on 6/3/17 3:10am
 thanks, Bear for the response...... - notarydi/CA on 6/3/17 9:08am
 Knee Pain -  Amigoaz on 6/5/17 2:38pm
 Thanks Amigoaz - Bear900/CA on 6/6/17 12:55am
 Re: facet joint injury..... - FGX/NJ on 6/3/17 10:10am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.