Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Ancestry.com has been advertising that & I think the
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 8/19/17 6:24pm Msg #29201
I used MyHeritage.com, based on a recommendation. I believe Ancestry.com has you spit in a cup; MyHeritage.com uses cheek swabs, which is the more standard way of collecting a DNA sample (that's usually how it's done for paternity tests).

LuckyDog is absolutely correct that these tests aren't always reliable, and a lot of it has to do with how the sample is collected. The things they stressed were to not eat or drink anything (including water) for at least 30 minutes prior to taking the swabs, swabbing the cheek for at least 45 seconds, immediately putting the swab in a test tube they provided without touching the business end of it and then sealing the test tube. There are a lot of opportunities to contaminate the samples if you're not careful; that ham sandwich you just had for lunch or the cup of tea you just drank could easily skew the results, so how the samples are taken is critical...

If anyone is thinking of doing this, my advice is to follow the instructions to the letter. Your results will probably be more accurate.
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 DNA testing - MikeC/TX on 8/18/17 7:59pm
 Re: DNA testing - Luckydog on 8/18/17 8:45pm
 Re: DNA testing - MikeC/TX on 8/19/17 3:35pm
 Ancestry.com has been advertising that & I think the -  MW/VA on 8/19/17 4:20pm
 Re: Ancestry.com has been advertising that & I think the - desktopfull on 8/19/17 4:28pm
 Re: Ancestry.com has been advertising that & I think the - MikeC/TX on 8/19/17 6:24pm
 Re: Ancestry.com has been advertising that & I think the - Luckydog on 8/20/17 9:07pm
 Re: Ancestry.com has been advertising that & I think the - MikeC/TX on 8/21/17 4:13pm
 Re: Ancestry.com has been advertising that & I think the -  canotaryhere on 8/27/17 10:06pm
 Re: DNA testing - MikeC/TX on 8/31/17 5:18pm
 Love it, Mike! Hopefully, results will be as anticipated. : n/m -  Christine/OK on 9/1/17 7:11am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.