Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

New Driver License extensions in CA - not legal for ID.
Posted by JanetK_CA of CA on 3/23/21 7:22pm Msg #630643
I've finally run into a situation with signers (for tomorrow) whose DLs are expired. They applied for renewed DLs a while back, but have yet to receive them. I had some time this afternoon, so finally did a deep dig into the issue of whether or not the extension of Driver Licenses shown on DMV website allows for use as ID, and the bottom line appears to be NO.

[CA DMV site says that seniors over 70 can have a 1-year extension for expired DLs: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/news-and-media/dmv-gives-1-year-extension-to-senior-drivers-with-expiring-licenses/.]

So I did a search and found the actual Executive Orders issued by the Governor. Executive Order N-63-20, specifically refers to the section of notary law relating to identification, and adds 60 days for that purpose to DLs expiring after March 1, 2020.

The subsequent EO adds extensions to lots of different things, but not across the board. It lists each one, with replacement language where applicable, paragraph by paragraph. The specific paragraph that allowed for the use of DLs for ID purposes was not listed, but the one allowing for extension of expiration for notary commissions was. So it looks to me like the 60 day extension for use as ID was not rescinded (as some other things were), but neither is it extended beyond that. (Notary commission info is on the SOS website.)

So, while seniors over 70 in CA can legally drive for an additional year after their DL expires, they can't use it for ID for more than 60 days beyond the expiration date. Current circumstances, however, would probably qualify them for the "difficult or impossible" standard for use of CWs.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 New Driver License extensions in CA - not legal for ID. - JanetK_CA on 3/23/21 7:22pm
 Re: New Driver License extensions in CA - not legal for ID. - pdl/cali on 3/23/21 10:50pm
 Re: New Driver License extensions in CA - not legal for ID. - JanetK_CA on 3/23/21 11:40pm
 Re: New Driver License extensions in CA - not legal for ID. -  Cheryl Elliott on 3/24/21 9:24am
 Re: New Driver License extensions in CA - not legal for ID. - Luckydog on 3/24/21 5:26pm
 Re: New Driver License extensions in CA - not legal for ID. -  garland/CA on 3/24/21 10:05am
 May still be usable - Kellosh/CA on 3/27/21 1:25am
 Re: New Driver License extensions in CA - not legal for ID. -  canotaryhere on 3/31/21 11:54am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.