Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Different countries, different requirements
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 1/12/20 3:15pm Msg #614573
I've also done many notarizations going to countries that didn't require an embosser. If I've ever received a request for one going to a country that did, I would have told them I couldn't help them and immediately forgotten about it.

I also agree with Marilynn that the SOS attaches a gold seal (embossed?) when they complete the apostille. BTW, it also depends on the country the document is going to as to whether or not an apostille is even called for.

[It may be possible that not all documents going to that country will require an apostille. For example, I've received a number of requests from individuals from India, usually for routine matters, and I'd bet not all of them bothered to get an apostille. I'm guessing the officials just want to see a stamp/seal somewhere on the document.]

An apostille (which simply certifies the validity of the notary's commission - and, of course, won't be applied to an improperly executed notarization) is only completed for documents going to countries which are parties to the Hague Convention, which apparently dealt with how a variety of legal issues were to be handled between nations, even dealing with things like child support.

This is the most useful list of participating countries I could find:

http://www.gsccca.org/notary-and-apostilles/apostilles/hague-apostille-country-list.

PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Call out to Chicago notaries -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/11/20 2:51pm
 Re: Call out to Chicago notaries -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/11/20 7:15pm
 Re: Call out to Chicago notaries - CST on 1/11/20 7:32pm
 Re: Call out to Chicago notaries -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/12/20 7:26am
 Re: Call out to Chicago notaries -  Yoli/CA on 1/12/20 9:42am
 Re: Call out to Chicago notaries -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/12/20 9:48am
 Re: Call out to Chicago notaries -  VT_Syrup on 1/12/20 10:06am
 Re: Call out to Chicago notaries -  Yoli/CA on 1/12/20 10:14am
 Different countries, different requirements -  JanetK_CA on 1/12/20 3:15pm
 Re: Different countries, different requirements -  Yoli/CA on 1/12/20 4:28pm
 Re: Different countries, different requirements -  JanetK_CA on 1/13/20 8:19pm
 Interesting. I've done many Apostilles & I've never used an -  MW/VA on 1/12/20 12:50pm
 Re: Call out to Chicago notaries -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/12/20 4:07pm
 Re: Call out to Chicago notaries -  Saul Leibowitz on 1/12/20 4:24pm
 No wonder my client can't locate a notary w/ embosser -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/12/20 5:04pm
 Minnesota Allows Embossers . . . -  PegiT_MN on 1/12/20 6:46pm
 Re: Call out to Chicago notaries -  Doris_CO on 1/12/20 5:59pm
 I found this site which shows which states allow -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/13/20 2:14am
 oops! so readers don't have to cut and paste link to browser -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/13/20 7:21am
 Re: I found this site which shows which states allow -  VT_Syrup on 1/13/20 12:26pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.