Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Provide interpreter. I sure wouldn
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 5/18/18 7:45pm Msg #593459
"Docs will never be in Spanish in the USA..."

On what basis are you making this statement? I suggest you consider tempering some of your comments to be less absolute and make it more clear that you're expressing your opinion vs. fact so as to not risk misleading others. In this case, for example, I just finished commenting that I've done numerous Spanish signings in the past where the documents WERE written in Spanish. (And I'm undoubtedly not the only one.) If it's been done in the past, it could be done again in the future, however unlikely.

Further, I think it's very possible to handle a Spanish speaker's signing without getting involved in translating documents and taking on that liability, even if docs are in English. It's not really all that different than dealing with an English speaker and English docs. We don't 'explain' in either case, we just facilitate and give a brief description of what they're signing. If a Spanish speaker has a question about contents of a document, I don't think it would need to be handled differently than if an English speaker had a question about contents of a document in English: have them call their LO.

[BTW, I'm assuming that the notary is able to communicate directly with signers without the use of translators - and that if language was an issue, they'd also select a LO with whom they could communicate comfortably. That's always been my experience, even with speakers whose first language was other than English or Spanish. In those cases, if they didn't speak either of those two languages, I've turned back the assignment.]

Even the most seasoned among us haven't seen everything, so I believe we all need to be careful about making broad conclusions based on our own experience...
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Mortgage docs - foreign language - Roadie_MD on 5/17/18 11:31am
 Re: Mortgage docs - foreign language - Luckydog on 5/17/18 11:36am
 Re: Mortgage docs - foreign language - Signerbill on 5/17/18 1:00pm
 Re: Mortgage docs - foreign language - Roadie_MD on 5/17/18 1:47pm
 Re: Mortgage docs - foreign language - Luckydog on 5/17/18 2:09pm
 Prob best to ask someone w/MD TPL AND lender/tc contact. n/m -  JanetK_CA on 5/17/18 8:38pm
 I agree. I've signed some purchase loans for Chinese -  MW/VA on 5/18/18 11:57am
 Check your state law! -  JanetK_CA on 5/17/18 2:42pm
 Re: Check your state law! - Roadie_MD on 5/17/18 2:46pm
 Provide interpreter. I sure wouldn't go there. - Lee/AR on 5/17/18 3:05pm
 Re: Provide interpreter. I sure wouldn - Luckydog on 5/17/18 7:23pm
 Re: Provide interpreter. I sure wouldn -  JanetK_CA on 5/17/18 8:01pm
 Re: Provide interpreter. I sure wouldn - Luckydog on 5/18/18 5:17pm
 Re: Provide interpreter. I sure wouldn -  JanetK_CA on 5/18/18 7:45pm
 Re: Provide interpreter. I sure wouldn - Expeditor on 5/19/18 8:13pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.