Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Doesn-t matter the format is not correct either side
Posted by  VT_Syrup of VT on 6/30/20 8:33am Msg #621566
It's conceivable the registrar-recorder/county clerk MIGHT have the authority to reject a deed that contains a date that is obviously incorrect on its face (for example February 31, 2020) or that cannot be understood by a person reasonably competent in the English language. But the US Constitution recognizes the people's right to freedom of expression. The default position is people can write any way they please, and to limit it, the government must pass a law or regulation, and possibly, defend that law or regulation in the courts.

I call on you to cite the law or binding regulation that places any limitation on how dates may be written in California recorded documents, or on California notarial certificates.

For my part, since California explicitly accepts notarial certificates completed out of state, if done in conformance with the laws of the place where the notarial act is performed, I would expect a registrar-recorder/county clerk to accept my Vermont notarial certificates no matter how I wrote the date, as long as it is understandable to a person who speaks English. All these should be acceptable: June 7, 2020; 7 June 2020, the seventh day of June in the year of the Lord 2020; the 159th day of 2020. The ever-popular 6/7/2020 is more subject to criticism than the rest, since in some English-speaking countries, it means July 6, 2020.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Country rejected the way I dated the DOT - JustANotary on 6/28/20 6:17pm
 Re: Country rejected the way I dated the DOT -  VT_Syrup on 6/28/20 6:38pm
 Re: Country rejected the way I dated the DOT -  Yoli/CA on 6/28/20 8:20pm
 Re: Country rejected the way I dated the DOT - Luckydog on 6/28/20 8:24pm
 Re: Country rejected the way I dated the DOT - JustANotary on 6/28/20 9:12pm
 Doesn't matter the format is not correct either side n/m - Luckydog on 6/29/20 8:26pm
 Re: Doesn-t matter the format is not correct either side -  VT_Syrup on 6/30/20 8:33am
 Format is not correct - says who? I've seen dates written - Linda_H/FL on 6/30/20 9:14am
 Re: Format is not correct - says who? I - Luckydog on 7/1/20 7:58am
 I've never had documents rejected when dated in that - ananotary on 6/29/20 9:29am
 Re: Country rejected the way I dated the DOT -  Cheryl Elliott on 6/28/20 9:11pm
 Re: Country rejected the way I dated the DOT - JustANotary on 6/28/20 9:13pm
 Re: Country rejected the way I dated the DOT -  JanetK_CA on 6/28/20 9:19pm
 Should have refreshed the page before posting... ;) n/m -  JanetK_CA on 6/28/20 9:20pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.