Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Only fee in excess of market value is subject to SE tax
Posted by Kellosh/CA of CA on 4/5/21 5:49pm Msg #631016
My tax agent did a deep dive on this when I started making some significant income from my notary work, and I rely on her research. I can categorize the market value of the notarizations I perform as part of a closing as notary income, not subject to SE. In California, we can charge up to $15 per signature notarized. So if I take a job for $100 and only notarize one document with two signers, $30 of that is notary income, and $70 of that is self-employment income. If a $100 has 10 documents with two signers, the market value exceeds the payment, and therefore the whole $100 is notary income.

And, yes, in my opinion, given that CA has such a high market rate on notary fees, it is WAY worth my time to figure that out. It saves me thousands in taxes each year. (I run two unrelated businesses, so that's part of it as well).

What this results in as that, although I made high mid-5 digits last year, only about $6000 of it was considered self-employment income. Apparently that's not high enough to qualify for a SEP IRA. (As stated before, Roths are not an option for me - my husband makes mid-six figures, so we don't qualify for that.)
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 IRA options for notary? - Kellosh/CA on 4/2/21 5:47pm
 We opened a simple IRA this year. - ananotary on 4/2/21 5:53pm
 See msg. 630895 below from ArtFL n/m -  MW/VA on 4/2/21 6:08pm
 Re: IRA options for notary? - Art_FL on 4/4/21 8:25am
 Re: IRA options for notary? - PA_Notary_II on 4/5/21 10:02am
 Only fee in excess of market value is subject to SE tax - Kellosh/CA on 4/5/21 5:49pm
 Have you looked into a solo 401k? 19,500 contributions under - ananotary on 4/5/21 8:08pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.