Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Pandemic
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 4/15/21 9:51pm Msg #631332
I just read something else today emphasizing that the latest science indicates that most coronavirus transmission happens from tiny aerosol particles that can remain airborne for very long periods of time. This has been suspected for a long time, so I've been doing all my signings (since I went back to work in May of last year) outside. That's mostly meant on backyard tables and in garages - sometimes under very uncomfortable conditions. I considered it worth the effort, though, as droplets become more concentrated in an enclosed space.

I did my first indoor signing just today because they requested the signing happen at a local bank branch and there was nowhere nearby that would accommodate signing outdoors. It also wasn't in an enclosed conference room, but at a empty desk, open to the entire room, which seemed to have decent air circulation. If it wasn't also for the fact that I got my 2nd vaccine nearly 2 weeks ago, I might have turned this one back.

The outdoor signings have often been inconvenient. Last summer, I was including paper towels in my tool bag, to deal with my sweaty brow. Wink In the winter (such as it is here...), it meant layering clothes (not something I usually even think about), badly shivering a few times with late appointments, and investing in a small table lantern so we could see what we were doing. Not ideal, but doable.

I can count on one hand the people who were resistant to those arrangements. I only gave back one assignment because of that, due to the resistance of the 3rd party (LO?) who was coordinating everything. Everyone else has mostly been grateful. These days, many of us end up happily sharing our vaccination status as we get to know each other. Even though I'm now fully vaccinated, I will still continue to wear a mask and may leave it up to the signers as to whether or not we sign outside in the open air. Haven't decided yet.

BTW, the article I read today referred to all the efforts regarding sanitizing surfaces as "hygiene theater". It makes people and companies feel like they're doing something, but it doesn't really make much of a difference, as there appears to be very little evidence of coronavirus being transmitted by touching surfaces - unlike bacteria or other viruses. That's consistent with what I've long suspected and with other info I've heard and read.

I'll continue to keep a supply on hand of cheap blue pens that I can give borrowers, and will use the hand sanitizers they put out, to increase their comfort level. (Plus, it never hurts to have clean hands anyway.) But whether or not I decide to continue to do all signings outside will depend on what happens with the mutated strains or 'variants'.

I think you have to decide what you're personally comfortable with, based on your own situation, like your own health and that of people close to you, and how badly you want/need the work. Following basic precautions I believe is also a good idea. For me, that means a well-fitting mask (that covers the nose as well as the mouth) including on my signers. I keep some extra disposable masks with me, so if someone has one that keeps slipping down, I'll give them a new one. I also have not been shy about asking them to cover their nose (nicely, of course), if they're wearing their mask as a 'chin diaper'. (Got that from a doctor I notarized... Wink)

I know that wearing a mask is controversial for some reason, but I think that's still the best protective step we can implement, both for ourselves and the people we meet with. Numerous studies have shown the effectiveness of all parties wearing masks - even more than 'social distancing', since aerosols can travel as far as 12 feet. I also heard again today that even fully vaccinated or if they've already had it, people can contract the coronavirus (or get it again), but are likely to be asymptomatic or only mildly ill - which means there's still a risk of passing it on to someone else. For that reason, I plan to continue to wear a mask for the foreseeable future.

That's just how it see it. Hope this at least gives you something to think about.

PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Pandemic - terrie/IN on 4/15/21 5:44pm
 Re: Pandemic - Luckydog on 4/15/21 7:36pm
 Re: Pandemic -  Doris_CO on 4/15/21 8:54pm
 Re: Pandemic -  JanetK_CA on 4/15/21 9:51pm
 Re: No signings because of COVID - Jules on 4/16/21 12:49pm
 Re: I just wear a mask and sanitize everything - Katelyn Hart on 4/16/21 1:57pm
 Pens - Clem/CA on 4/16/21 9:10pm
 Re: Pens - Luckydog on 4/17/21 11:42am
 Re: Pandemic (safety for all) - NVLSlady/VA on 4/16/21 3:00pm
 Good points & well said! -  JanetK_CA on 4/16/21 7:37pm
 not to be heard from again? n/m - Clem/CA on 4/16/21 9:08pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.