Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Someone explain this to me
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 5/10/23 6:34pm Msg #82905
I've been in stores where some yokel walks in with an AR-15 strapped over his shoulder or a handgun prominently displayed on a hip holster. It's more than just a bit disconcerting. My reaction is usually something like, "This is a 7-11! You felt a need to arm yourself to buy a cup of coffee??" The sad part is that people like this tend to buy into the "good guy with a gun" nonsense that the NRA keeps pushing. Most of these "good guys" don't have the training or the intestinal fortitude to act when things start going sideways. At best, that makes them useless; at worst, it makes them dangerous.

Case in point - several years ago here in Dallas there was demonstration where a lot of people showed up armed, sporting AR-15 's strapped across their shoulders and other weapons. There was a guy in the crowd who started firing at police officers - we lost 5 officers that day. NOT A SINGLE ONE of those "good guys with a gun" stepped forward to assist the police - once things started going pear-shaped, they ALL ran in the other direction. According to a published report at the time, at least one "good guy" ran to the closest cop he could find and actually surrendered his weapon before running off to safety. Dallas was in mourning for weeks over the loss of the officers who bravely tried to do what they were trained to do - and who received ZERO support from the "good guys" in the crowd.

So whenever I hear this BS NRA talking point about a "good guy with a gun", I get a little angry. Tell that fantasy to the 5 widows of the Dallas officers, and see how it's received. It's just a cruel joke.

I'm also of the opinion (and this is just personal opinion, unsupported so far by factual evidence, but I'd love to see a study done) that a large number of the men who feel compelled to appear in public with a large firearm strapped across their shoulder are suffering from feelings of sexual inadequacy. No man who is comfortable with his own masculinity needs a prop to show the world just how masculine he is.

PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 Someone explain this to me - MikeC/TX on 5/7/23 6:17pm
 Re: Someone explain this to me -  Yoli/CA on 5/8/23 12:00pm
 Re: Someone explain this to me - MikeC/TX on 5/8/23 3:10pm
 Re: Someone explain this to me - SC/CA on 5/9/23 11:21am
 Re: Someone explain this to me - MikeC/TX on 5/9/23 5:04pm
 Re: Someone explain this to me -  JanetK_CA on 5/9/23 10:21pm
 Re: Someone explain this to me - MikeC/TX on 5/10/23 6:34pm
 Re: Someone explain this to me -  JanetK_CA on 5/12/23 8:05pm
 Let's hear your answer - PaigeTurner on 6/17/23 12:52pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.