Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Divided or United?
Posted by NK_UT of UT on 1/1/20 12:35pm Msg #73061
I won't go into my opinion on this too much, as my understanding of it is still somewhat limited. I'll only share a few observations and comments. I'm still trying to wrap my head around taxation in the United States.

<rant/> To be quite frank - it makes precisely no sense to me how and why taxes are assessed the way they are, here. But, that's because this is only my first year living in and paying taxes under the US tax system as an adult. It seems to me that people who are actually generating the majority of the wealth and doing most of the employing in the US (small businesses) ought to be taxed at lower rate and with far simpler taxation requirements in order to generate growth. Federal, state, and local governments OUGHT to have the view of "let's just get out of their way and let them get on with generating economic activity". Instead, they seem to have adopted the view that "Small business owners are too stupid to generate economic activity, so we have to micro-manage them".

I sometimes criticize California for the onerous burden it places on its citizens, but I'll be fair and say that I'm shocked at the state of government interference in not only small business, but in people's lives in general nation-wide. 11 years in communist China, and their government didn't have nearly the level of micro-management of business (large or small). The only thing they cared about was a loose interpretation of some basic law and whether or not you were against the communist party. Not a perfect system by any stretch of the imagination, but in the time that I was there, I saw Beijing go from being a backwater full of pre-fab government apartment buildings to a high-tech future city packed to the gills with millionaires and billionaires (not to mention the absolute explosion in the middle class), the majority of whom acquired their wealth through legitimate business practices.

When that's the case, but the opposite is true here (shrinking middle-class, excessive legal and tax burdens, etc.), you know that someone has monkeyed with the system in the US.

All I can say is that a certain period of time comes to mind in which a certain band of rabble-rousers fought a certain war for independence over far less in the way of unjust taxation.

Is that to say that there ought to be a revolution? No. What it is to say is that my view as having grown up here, gone abroad and spent a long time on the outside looking in, and then coming back is that Americans seem to have forgotten who is in charge of whom, and what rights they have.

I will also say that all of this looks to me like a way for tax collectors to shove their hands a little further into the pockets of an already over-taxed society, regardless of merit.

That's as far as I'm willing to go on a forum like this. </rant>
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 Divided or United? - ArtG/KS on 12/30/19 4:50pm
 Re: Divided or United? - MikeC/TX on 12/30/19 6:59pm
 Re: Divided or United? - NK_UT on 1/1/20 12:35pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.