Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: What goes around comes around
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 12/22/22 4:32pm Msg #82167
I think most of the victims were just discouraged because no one was listening to them, and because they were ashamed, possibly even blaming themselves. Some years back when I was still living in NY I worked as a volunteer court advocate for domestic abuse victims, and I know that type of thinking is not uncommon even after they get some help.

As I recall, it wasn't just the wrestling team this guy was abusing. A lot of abused people will not come forward, which is why abusers get away with it for so long. It takes one or two people - even years later - to find the courage to come forward. and then the dam finally breaks. And then people start questioning why it took so long to say anything. Unless you've been down that road, it can be hard to understand.

I'm sure there were others on the faculty besides Jordan who were aware of what was going on at the time but chose to look the other way. Seriously, if you're coaching an athletic team, and the boys are complaining to you about the team doctor taking showers with them and getting a little handsy during physical exams, wouldn't that raise questions in your mind? Yet no one did anything about it. It would be unfair to lay the blame entirely at Jordan's feet because they were all complicit, but he's a public figure now and as far as I know has never even acknowledged his involvement, much less apologized.

Granted, I don't like Jordan's politics, but if he had done what should have been done at the time, or at least owned up to his responsibility, I would at least have some level of respect for him. I have none whatsoever.
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 What goes around comes around - MikeC/TX on 12/19/22 6:28pm
 Re: What goes around comes around - shooterclay on 12/21/22 2:52pm
 Re: What goes around comes around - PaigeTurner on 12/21/22 3:25pm
 Re: What goes around comes around - MikeC/TX on 12/21/22 5:04pm
 Re: What goes around comes around - PaigeTurner on 12/22/22 3:22pm
 Re: What goes around comes around - shooterclay on 12/21/22 6:07pm
 Re: What goes around comes around - MikeC/TX on 12/21/22 4:40pm
 Re: What goes around comes around - shooterclay on 12/21/22 6:01pm
 Re: What goes around comes around - MikeC/TX on 12/22/22 4:32pm
 Re: What goes around comes around - PaigeTurner on 12/23/22 2:08pm
 "he set the example"? Eric Holder ring any bells for you? - Moneyman/TX on 12/29/22 11:14am
 LOL I guess Holder did ring some bells after all n/m - Moneyman/TX on 1/7/23 4:44am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.