Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Do you juice ?
Posted by  Cheryl Elliott of CA on 5/28/18 2:26pm Msg #30333
From one of my online resources:

Green juice, made by extracting the juice from fresh green vegetables like kale, spinach, cucumber, and celery, has become popular as a way to get nutrients and antioxidants from a generous number of vegetable servings.

Although drinking green juice isn't equal to eating whole vegetables (juicing removes the bulk of fiber and can be high in calories and sugar), it can be an important part of a healthy eating plan, especially if you're short on time.
The Recipe

Whether you're new to juicing or are a seasoned pro, you'll love this easy, mild-tasting green juice recipe.

Try to use organically-grown produce when possible, but if it's not available, soak and wash everything thoroughly.
Ingredients

1 cup of spinach
2 celery stalks
1 cup of kale (approximately 3 leaves)
2 cups of romaine (approximately 3 leaves)
1 cucumber
1 green apple
1/2 lemon (or lime, peeled)

Preparation

1. Wash the vegetables and apple thoroughly and dry them well.

2. Cut the cucumber, apple, and lemon (or lime) into pieces small enough to fit into your juicer.

3. Process the ingredients, one by one, in a juicer. Larger leaves with a firm stem, such as kale and romaine, can be rolled up along the stem before being juiced.

Enjoy!

Juice can be stored for up to 24 hours in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Although the serving size depends on the individual, this juice is enough for approximately 4 to 6 small servings.

If you like beets, try this beet, carrot, apple, and ginger juice recipe.
Tips

Keep your serving sizes small. While the green juice that is available in stores and juice bars often comes in 16-ounce bottles, the amount of juice that you drink at any time should be comparable to the amount of whole vegetables and fruit you would comfortably eat in a meal.
Try using the pulp that is left behind in the juicer in soup, muffins, or other recipes so that the fiber isn't thrown away.

Precautions

Oxalate is a naturally-occurring compound found in some foods, and it's also produced in the body as a waste product. Foods high in oxalate include many common ingredients in green juice such as spinach, beet greens, celery, collard, dandelion, kale, escarole, parsley, swiss chard, carrots, beet root, and berries.

People with certain conditions, such as kidney disorders (including chronic kidney disease and kidney stones), gout, rheumatoid arthritis, and certain types of vulvodynia, should avoid an oxalate-rich diet.

Don't rely on juice to replace whole vegetables in your diet.

Cruciferous vegetables (such as cabbage, broccoli, kale, watercress, radishes, and collard greens) are common ingredients in green juice.

When raw, they contain glucosinolates that may inhibit iodine intake and interfere with thyroid function.

Green juice may not be right for you if you have or are at risk for diabetes due to the sugar content in many juices.

If you're considering making green vegetable juice a regular part of your diet, it's wise to consult your health care provider to ensure that it's appropriate for you. Green juice is delicious and widely available at home and in stores, but it's not right for everyone.
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Do you juice ? - Bear900/CA on 5/28/18 1:46pm
 Re: Do you juice ? -  Cheryl Elliott on 5/28/18 2:26pm
 my bad..... - notarydi/CA on 5/28/18 4:28pm
 Both our bad... - Bear900/CA on 5/28/18 6:15pm
 Re: Do you juice ? -  Amigoaz on 5/28/18 6:19pm
 Re: Do you juice ? - Bear900/CA on 5/28/18 7:18pm
 Glad I wasn't sipping coffee when I read this... :D n/m -  JanetK_CA on 5/29/18 2:48pm
 Does tequila w/lime count as juicing? LOL n/m -  MW/VA on 5/30/18 7:03pm
 You all poke fun... -  Cheryl Elliott on 5/31/18 8:35am
 Re: You all poke fun... - HisHughness on 5/31/18 9:13am
 Re: You all poke fun... -  Cheryl Elliott on 5/31/18 9:21am
 Just have him eat like a pig... - Bear900/CA on 5/31/18 12:23pm
 I have heard that celery juice has amazing benefits. I -  MW/VA on 5/31/18 2:12pm
 Re: I have heard that celery juice has amazing benefits. I - Bear900/CA on 5/31/18 3:53pm
 Feeling chuffed! - Bear900/CA on 5/31/18 4:09pm
 Re: Feeling chuffed! -  Claudine Osborne on 6/5/18 9:19pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.