Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: " ICE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND!"
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 5/22/18 7:15pm Msg #30316
So true! I use these two ice methods in case anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040OFASO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Need to buy the knee pad separate.

Benefits - just add a bit of water and a couple frozen bottles of water; no need for ice. Can vary temperature. Good for a 'quickie' ice-on-the-go, or long term icing when just out of surgery and stuck in a chair. It will pump upwards, no need for gravity fed water through the knee pad. Same as hospital used on me. I purchased a remote controlled electric outlet (that plugs into existing outlet). The remote is the size of an electronic car key. Lazy man thing, but when you can barely move the first week or so it's a life saver. Also good for additional safety. I laid off using it for the last week or so but am back on it as I need to ice more often. I use it on the recliner.

For 15 minute icings on a table or bench and using a wedge under the leg I use a compression cold therapy wrap. There is a gel pack underneath and an air pump with hose outside to pump air into the wrap for a more pressure. You can add or release air as you ice. There are a number of these out there. There are two gel paks to rotate in the freezer.

Both devices have benefits. I have another knee to do so can see myself icing for a solid year. Get the good stuff!

One of the absolutely best, simple and least expensive items I bought was a simple foot stirrup with a long handle. Insert foot, then pull leg up in or out of bed, or exercise chair, or car.

I never needed the 'grabber'. I purchased a bench to do some of the exercises and icing. I also found it good to sit on, reach over and put on socks and clothes. Just make sure you can touch your toes. Smile Again, another long term 'tool' for me.

Some items were cheap some not so. Weigh the cost, how much you intend to use it, and level of frustration when you cannot move around much.

A common thread among people I have talked to is that you start to ask the question after the first week or two: "Why did I do this to myself?!?!" You just have to go with it, no turning back.

One lady told me, "It's just like going through labor". WHAT?? I have other pain stories I can better relate to but either way, you don't want to squeal like a pig! Best to get and be equipped.
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 4 weeks and 4 days into knee replacement - Bear900/CA on 5/21/18 3:02pm
 Thanks for the update, Bear; glad to hear you're doing well. - Yoli/CA on 5/21/18 3:42pm
 Re: " ICE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND!" - Bear900/CA on 5/22/18 7:15pm
 Re: 4 weeks and 4 days into knee replacement -  Cheryl Elliott on 5/21/18 4:31pm
 Re: 4 weeks and 4 days into knee replacement -  Amigoaz on 5/21/18 10:11pm
 Good info as always. Thanks! n/m - Bear900/CA on 5/22/18 7:16pm
 HOPING you'll be HOPPING soon - NVLSlady/VA on 5/22/18 11:22am
 thanks for the update...... - notarydi/CA on 5/22/18 1:31pm
 Re: thanks for the update...... - Bear900/CA on 5/22/18 7:19pm
 LOL! You need to lessen the caffeine! :) n/m - Bear900/CA on 5/22/18 7:17pm
 Re: 4 weeks and 4 days into knee replacement - Luckydog on 5/25/18 6:16pm
 Thank You LD. Three days after I posted this - Bear900/CA on 5/26/18 10:23am
 Re: Thank You LD. Three days after I posted this - Luckydog on 5/26/18 6:58pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.