Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: I am a Prime member because I stream their movies, etc.
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 9/8/19 6:39pm Msg #31370
If you buy a lot of stuff from Amazon over the course of the year, Prime makes sense. The movies and music are an add-on, and if you own a Kindle as I do, there are free books offered each month.

For me, Prime membership makes sense financially - I definitely get a payback, because I order much of the stuff I buy online from them and the shipping is free. The question is whether their new delivery model makes sense socially.

The article I referenced was the second I read in a week about the way Amazon is pushing their delivery services. FedEx has dropped them as a client; except in extremely rural areas where they have to depend on USPS or UPS, almost all of their deliveries are done by Amazon Logistics, which is a network of independent delivery companies. And because they're independent, Amazon is able to deny responsibility when someone is injured or killed by one of those drivers. The drivers are given daily quotas that are almost impossible to fill without driving recklessly. I know that in my apartment complex, some drivers won't even attempt to deliver to individual apartments - they'll just dump it all at the leasing office as if that was a mailroom - they don't have time to work their way through the complex.

And now Amazon is guaranteeing Prime members next day delivery, putting more pressure on the delivery companies and more pressure on the drivers. As we get closer to the Christmas season, this is starting to look like a nightmare - one that Amazon will accept no responsibility for, because the delivery companies in their network are all independent.

So now I'm left with the question of whether the benefits of Prime membership justify the really bad stuff that it creates. At the same time, I realize that canceling Prime is not going to help solve the problem - they will still use the same overworked delivery system to deliver packages. The only real option is to stop shopping on Amazon - and old habits are hard to break.

PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Amazon Delivery - MikeC/TX on 9/5/19 7:36pm
 There are plenty of folks set up to deliver for them. Some -  MW/VA on 9/5/19 8:18pm
 I cut the cord with my Amazon account this past - Linda_H/FL on 9/6/19 8:23am
 Re: I cut the cord with my Amazon account this past - Luckydog on 9/6/19 10:02pm
 My experience also LD - they say 5-9 business days - Linda_H/FL on 9/7/19 8:03am
 I am a Prime member because I stream their movies, etc. -  MW/VA on 9/7/19 6:49pm
 Re: I am a Prime member because I stream their movies, etc. - MikeC/TX on 9/8/19 6:39pm
 when your only store is Walmart within 50+ miles... - Connie Thingstad on 11/15/19 10:12am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.