Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

This subject has been covered here many times...
Posted by BearPaw/CO of CO on 8/30/14 11:52am Msg #514425
... and if you did a search you'll find many notaries have absolutely no problem showing their ID to the borrower. I am not one of them, however. The first time this happened years ago, I smile, introduce myself, hand the cranky borrower my card through the tiny space he left open in the door. The guy ignores it and demands to see my ID before he'll even open the door beyond 2 inches. I was so surprised I thought he was joking! So, I blurted out that I was there to ID him, not the other way around. LOL. Perhaps not the most professional response, but it's all beside the point anyway since I never take my ID or any personal stuff into a signing.

When I was a CA notary, it wasn't uncommon with Asian-American folks to ask for my ID. I think there is an inherent distrust in their culture and heritage when it comes to loans. I never complied ... they got my card, a look at my commission that's it. I think some complained. Too bad. Like OP said, we don't demand the personal ID of the cable guy, repair guy, etc. But I wonder if other people ask to see their personal ID? I'm sure they have a company response for that, and I'm sure their companies would not require or allow them to show anything beyond their work ID.

I once had a former cop tell me never to show your ID to anyone except a cop cos some people have photographic memories. This sounded good to me ... except what about when being notarized or buying alcohol? Worse than that, I've had two merchants (Target being one) not only require to see my ID (once when I was buying cold medication!) but swiped it before I knew what happened. So, now every hacker in Eastern Europe has all my info.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 When borrowers want to see the notary's ID - CopperheadVA on 8/30/14 9:59am
 Re: When borrowers want to see the notary - Luckydog on 8/30/14 10:45am
 "- it was almost a tit-for-tat with him." -  Yoli/CA on 8/30/14 10:48am
 Good one, Yoli! n/m -  Stoli on 8/30/14 1:47pm
 Re: When borrowers want to see the notary -  Cheryl Elliott on 8/30/14 10:55am
 Re: When borrowers want to see the notary -  Notarysigner on 8/30/14 11:09am
 This subject has been covered here many times... - BearPaw/CO on 8/30/14 11:52am
 Re: When borrowers want to see the notary - LKT/CA on 8/30/14 11:19am
 Re: When borrowers want to see the notary -  Jack/AL on 8/30/14 12:57pm
 Throughout my career I've always worn an ID badge, until I -  Christine/OK on 8/30/14 4:22pm
 Re: Throughout my career I -  Go2NotaryLLC on 8/30/14 7:48pm
 FYI: My business card does have my photo on it. :D Tnx n/m -  Christine/OK on 8/30/14 9:57pm
 Re: Throughout my career I - CopperheadVA on 8/31/14 10:55am
 Re: Throughout my career I*ve always worn an ID badge, until -  VT_Syrup on 8/31/14 12:34pm
 Re: When borrowers want to see the notary -  Go2NotaryLLC on 8/30/14 7:40pm
 Yes, Eileen, I also carry a flexible clear-covered thin -  Christine/OK on 8/30/14 10:05pm
 What great and constructive suggestions. Thanks y'all. <:-) n/m -  Sha/CA on 8/31/14 2:41am
 Re: When borrowers want to see the notary -  walthtz on 8/31/14 12:31pm
 Re: When borrowers want to see the notary -  Erwin/CA on 8/31/14 6:45pm
 Refused to give bo copy of my I n/m -  Yowheelz on 9/2/14 10:52am
 Re: Refused to give bo copy of my ID -  Yowheelz on 9/2/14 10:57am
 Re: Refused to give bo copy of my ID - AM_NC on 9/4/14 5:50pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.