Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

However, we're not all CIVIL LAW NOTARIES
Posted by  Cheryl Elliott of CA on 10/22/14 12:26pmMsg #517714
Civil-law notaries, or Latin notaries, are lawyers of noncontentious private civil law who draft, take, and record legal instruments for private parties, provide legal advice and give attendance in person, and are vested as public officers with the authentication power of the State. Unlike notaries public, their common-law counterparts, civil-law notaries are highly trained, licensed practitioners providing a full range of regulated legal services, and whereas they hold a public office, they nonetheless operate usually—but not always—in private practice and are paid on a fee-for-service basis. They often receive the same education as attorneys at civil law but without qualifications in advocacy, procedural law, or the law of evidence, somewhat comparable to solicitor training in certain common-law countries.

Civil-law notaries are limited to areas of private law, that is, domestic law which regulates the relationships between individuals and in which the State is not directly concerned.[1] The most common areas of practice for civil-law notaries are in residential and commercial conveyancing and registration, contract drafting, company formation, successions and estate planning, and powers of attorney.[2] Ordinarily, they have no authority to appear in court on their client's behalf; their role is limited to drafting, authenticating, and registering certain types of transactional or legal instruments.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 What do you call yourself? clients ask -  Cheryl Elliott on 10/22/14 11:29am
 Re: What do you call yourself? clients ask - EJC/LA on 10/22/14 12:16pm
 However, we're not all CIVIL LAW NOTARIES -  Cheryl Elliott on 10/22/14 12:26pm
 Re: What do you call yourself? clients ask - Ireneky on 10/22/14 12:45pm
 I'm a simple country notary... - BearPaw/CO on 10/22/14 1:25pm
 Me too..skip the bs, get right to the task at hand -  Cheryl Elliott on 10/22/14 1:35pm
 Re: What do you call yourself? clients ask -  Ilene C. Seidel on 10/22/14 2:03pm
 Even w/ the licensing reqs in MD & DC, we don't actually - HrdwrkrVA on 10/22/14 5:26pm
 Re: Even w/ the licensing reqs in MD & DC, we don -  Ilene C. Seidel on 10/22/14 7:56pm
 ...so you sign the HUD stating you prepared it & are - HrdwrkrVA on 10/22/14 8:26pm
 ...also, do they pay you an NSA fee or an SA fee??? n/m - HrdwrkrVA on 10/22/14 8:28pm
 Wow Ilene - do you get involved in the actual -  Linda_H/FL on 10/23/14 9:22am
 P.S. and yeah - as Hrdwrkr said - my fee would reflect -  Linda_H/FL on 10/23/14 9:33am
 Still trying to figure out what to call myself in Spanish!! - CH2inCA on 10/22/14 3:47pm
 I keep it simple - I'm a Notary Public - LKT/CA on 10/23/14 12:07am
 Re: I keep it simple - I -  Les_CO on 10/23/14 10:52am
 Re: What do you call yourself? clients ask - Rick Ary on 10/23/14 6:22pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.