Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Acknowledging as AKA
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 1/11/17 2:48am Msg #567986
I'd refuse their request based on MY state's law and the actual wording in our required certificates. I'd tell them that since she only had ID as "Bernice Later", that I couldn't include the other name in my certificate since she hadn't provided "satisfactory evidence" for that identity, as stated in any CA compliant certificate. Like Cheryl, I'd have had her sign exactly as typed under the signature line, presumably with both names. But CA notary law, unlike FL, doesn't have any provisions for situations where a person "represented themselves" to have taken title in a certain way, including under a different name. (See Linda's post for more accurate info on that.)

Your ultimate guide has to be what YOUR state allows. If there's nothing to give you any clues, then you just have to make a judgment call. Perhaps you could borrow from FL's approach? But fixing it after the fact could be a problem.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Acknowledging as AKA - Blueink_TN on 1/10/17 7:52pm
 Re: Acknowledging as AKA -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/10/17 8:04pm
 Re: Acknowledging as AKA - LKT/CA on 1/10/17 8:37pm
 Refer to your notary laws in your state which, - Linda_H/FL on 1/10/17 8:54pm
 Re: Refer to your notary laws in your state which, -  Barb25 on 1/12/17 6:46pm
 Re: Acknowledging as AKA -  JanetK_CA on 1/11/17 2:48am
 Re: Acknowledging as AKA -  Barb25 on 1/12/17 6:54pm
 UPDATE: Re: Acknowledging as AKA - Blueink_TN on 1/11/17 11:50am
 Re: Acknowledging as AKA - PegiT_MN on 1/11/17 12:04pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.