Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: NE VARIETUR language in Louisiana Notes - follow up
Posted by  Navtex/TX of TX on 6/28/17 5:12pm Msg #577624
First - my apologies for misspelling the latin phrase in my title. Have corrected it in this reply.

Secondly, I have come across a legal end-run around the "ne varietur" paraph requirement. Pursuant to Louisiana revised statute RS 9:5555, there is 1) no legal requirement that a note contain a "ne varietur" paraph, and more importantly to this discussion, 2) one may substitute an affidavit in lieu of the "ne varietur" paraph requirement. The notary must simply affirm the terms of the note as spelled out in the documents before them.
I know, The NNA document I referenced originally warns that a jurat or acknowledgment may not be a suitable substitute for a “ne varietur” clause, and indeed, if one is trying to convey the same intent, they truly are not a good substitute. However, if you read the Louisiana revised statutes RS 9:5555, it provides that an affidavit affirming 1) the terms of the note based on the papers before me, and 2) affirming that the stated parties signed the aforementioned note, to suffice in lieu of the “ne varietur” paraph. The exact language is as follows:
====================================

Universal Citation: LA Rev Stat § 9:5555
§5555. Executory process in the case of notes or other obligations not paraphed for identification with the mortgage

A. In accordance with Code of Civil Procedure Article 2636(8), there is no requirement that a note or other written obligation secured by a mortgage be paraphed for identification with the mortgage in order for the mortgagee to have the right to foreclose under the mortgage utilizing Louisiana executory process procedures. For purposes of executory process, the existence, amount, terms, and maturity of the note or other written obligation not evidenced by an instrument paraphed for identification with the act of mortgage or privilege may be proved by affidavit or verified petition.

B. The affidavit or verified petition may be based upon personal knowledge or upon information and belief derived from the records kept in the ordinary course of business of the mortgagee, the creditor whose claim is secured by the privilege, or any other person. The affidavit or verified petition need not particularize or specifically identify the records or date upon which such knowledge, information or belief is based.

C. The affidavit shall be deemed to provide authentic evidence of the existence, amount, terms, and maturity of the obligation for executory process purposes.

Technically, you don't even need to affirm that any specific parties signed the note, but it's not a bad idea. Here is a sample affidavit I was provided by the title company that will apparently suffice as a substitute:

NOTARY AFFIDAVIT

I, _____________________________ hereby state and depose as follows:

1. I am duly authorized to make this affidavit.

2. I hereby state that I witnessed ___________________ and _________________ sign the following described Note
as part of a refinance transaction with [lender name] as the lender.
3. Said Note was for the principal balance of $xxx,xxx.xx with interest calculated at a yearly rate of x.xxx% and
monthly payments in the amount of $x,xxx.xx beginning on August 1, 2017 and indicating a Maturity Date of
July 1, 2032.

4. This affidavit shall be deemed to provide authentic evidence of the existence, amount, terms, and maturity of the obligation for executory process purposes pursuant to Louisiana revised statutes RS 9:5555.

----------------------------------------
Signature of Notary
(seal)

----------------------------------------
Print or Type Name:
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 NE VERIETUR language in Louisiana Notes -  Navtex/TX on 6/23/17 4:50pm
 That's very interesting. I hope one of our resident LA -  MW/VA on 6/23/17 5:10pm
 Not sure about only a LA notary..but I know a FL - Linda_H/FL on 6/23/17 5:21pm
 Ne Varietur - Malbrough_LA on 6/23/17 8:11pm
 Thanks for elaborating on this one, Ryan. I was hoping -  MW/VA on 6/24/17 8:52am
 Also, for those "civil law" notaries in AL or FL... - Malbrough_LA on 6/23/17 8:18pm
 Re: NE VERIETUR (LA) Note - NVLSlady/VA on 6/23/17 8:41pm
 I don't think it's exactly the same with the language -  MW/VA on 6/24/17 8:51am
 Re: I don - Linda_H/FL on 6/24/17 9:00am
 This is to certify that this is the Note - NVLSlady/VA on 6/24/17 10:31pm
 Re: This is to certify that this is the Note - Linda_H/FL on 6/25/17 9:33am
 IMO it's all about a legal interpretation, and I don't give -  MW/VA on 6/25/17 9:34am
 Re: IMO it's all about a legal interpretation. . . - NVLSlady/VA on 6/25/17 8:09pm
 In the Absence of Law . . . - NVLSlady/VA on 6/25/17 8:14pm
 Re: NE VARIETUR language in Louisiana Notes - follow up -  Navtex/TX on 6/28/17 5:12pm
 Re: NE VARIETUR language in Louisiana Notes - follow up -  VT_Syrup on 6/28/17 6:06pm
 Re: NE VARIETUR language in Louisiana Notes - follow up -  Navtex/TX on 6/29/17 10:16am
 Re: NE VARIETUR language in Louisiana Notes - follow up - Roman Ciecwierz on 2/10/21 10:56am
 Re: NE VERIETUR language in Louisiana Notes -  Navtex/TX on 7/1/17 2:11pm
 Re: NE VERIETUR language in Louisiana Notes - Vegyes/VA on 8/20/22 5:00pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.