Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Check Your Handbook Marilyn.
Posted by PegiT_MN of MN on 2/7/18 11:55am Msg #589566
In Minnesota my handbook states the following:

Signature by Proxy: If a prospective signer has a physical limitation that restricts his or her ability to sign by writing or making a mark, then the Notary may perform a notarial act for that person under the following circumstances (MS 359.091).

The signature of the signer may be applied (or, in the case of an electronic signature, attached electronically) by another individual at the direction of the signer and in the presence of both the signer and the Notary. The signature may be applied by means of a rubber stamp facsimile of the signer's actual signature or mark, or by means of a written signature of the signer's name or mark made by another individual. Whatever the means used, it must be adopted for all purposes of signature by the signer with a physical limitation. The individual signing for the principal in this situation may not be the Notary.

Beneath or near the signer's signature must appear the following words or words of substantially similar effect:

In the case of a paper record, "Signature written by (name of the individual directed by the signer to sign the signature at the direction and in the presence of (name of signer), on whose behalf the signature was written."

In the case of an electronic record, "Signature attached by (name of the individual directed by the signer to attach the signature) at the direction and in the presence of (name of signer), on whose behalf the signature was electronically attached."

I know that not every state allows Signature by Proxy so please check with your Secretary of State or your handbook.

Good Luck!
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Question about signing for a disabled person by proxy. I'm -  MW/VA on 2/6/18 6:47pm
 Re: Question about signing for a disabled person by proxy. I -  Ilene C. Seidel on 2/7/18 5:13am
 Should check with your SOS or your handbook - Linda_H/FL on 2/7/18 6:58am
 some states do, others don't. its different in each state -  sigtogo/OR on 2/7/18 9:41am
 Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Our VA Notary -  MW/VA on 2/7/18 2:56pm
 Check Your Handbook Marilyn. - PegiT_MN on 2/7/18 11:55am
 Re: Question about signing for a disabled person by proxy. I -  JanetK_CA on 2/7/18 4:20pm
 I completely understand signature by "x" mark, but that's -  MW/VA on 2/7/18 5:44pm
 Re: I completely understand signature by "x" mark, but that -  JanetK_CA on 2/7/18 7:13pm
 Concerned with NOTARIZING party's signatures. - NVLSlady/VA on 2/7/18 7:38pm
 Okay...Debbie Downer here..I have a problem with this - Linda_H/FL on 2/8/18 7:29am
 Thanks, Linda. I always appreciate your input & advice. n/m -  MW/VA on 2/8/18 7:39am
 Notarizing for a disabled person - NVLSlady/VA on 2/8/18 10:52am
 This is not a loan signing situation, but GNW for a legal -  MW/VA on 2/8/18 8:33pm
 Uh, mention of loan signing?? Where'd that come from? n/m - NVLSlady/VA on 2/8/18 10:33pm
 Re: This is not a loan signing situation, but GNW for a legal - Linda_H/FL on 2/9/18 7:40am
 (drum roll)And that's tying it together. Thanks!! n/m - NVLSlady/VA on 2/9/18 8:29am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.