Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Another update...
Posted by Marian_in_CA of CA on 11/11/18 8:11pm Msg #600201
I was asked by a friend here to post a quick update. As many here know, I was in a horrible car accident about a year ago. That's why I haven't been around and why I'm not working as a notary for now. I was hit (100% NOT my fault) and run off the freeway at 70 mph... where I ended up rolling multiple times across an entire busy freeway (including opposing traffic) and landing upside in the shoulder. A whole little slate of miraculous things were in place that allowed me to (barely) walk out of the ER 8 hours later... but it wasn't without critical injuries, months or open wound care, physical therapy... two crushed vertebrae, concussion, nerve damage, etc. But, I'm alive and walking so I can't complain much.

As of today, I'm doing much better. I still have a lot of numbness in my dominant arm, and really struggle to write by hand, which as many can imagine makes the job of a notary quite difficult. Smile It took me 3 months to just sign my name... once. It's better now, but I can only write for a few minutes before it's completely doctor like unintelligible or I simply drop my pen because my muscles stop cooperating. And I mean stop cooperating... there's no consistency when it happens which makes things very difficult when you need to write things out. (Like we do in CA....ugh). I still haven't renewed my commission, and am not sure when I will because of the writing issue. Right now, the plans are that I will, but for now, I'm NOT active until I can come up with an accessible solution. I am driving again and back to most basic activities, but still dealing with a lot of physical recuperation and learning to use my right hand for things I never have before (I'm a lefty).

For many years, I told people that as mobile notaries, we are at a higher risk of having things happen to us, like car accidents... and even though I'm a very good and safe driver... it still happened to me. BUT because I'm a good driver, with defensive driving skills, I'm alive today. Please be sure you are paying into the social security disability system... if you don't have recent contributions, you won't be eligible if something happens. Don't just exempt yourself to save a few bucks. You never know when somebody will make a momentary bad decision on a freeway that nearly kills you and essentially ends your ability to earn a living.

For now, I'm getting back to my original roots as a virtual assistant, supporting other business owners. I was doing it years before it was as popular as it is today. I have to be able to do something that allows me to work from home and still be flexible. Thankfully, we have the technology that allows for it and I have plenty of experience doing it.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Another update... - Marian_in_CA on 11/11/18 8:11pm
 Thank for sharing. You will remain in our prayers. n/m - Alz on 11/11/18 9:30pm
 Re: Another update... - kcg on 11/11/18 9:43pm
 Re: Another update... - Yoli/CA on 11/12/18 9:26am
 God's Grace is upon you, Marian. :) -  Christine/OK on 11/12/18 6:11am
 Re: Another update... - MrEd_Ca on 11/12/18 9:26am
 Very good to hear from you. Keep getting better & better! - Lee/AR on 11/12/18 10:50am
 Your post is very uplifting...power of positive thinking -  Cheryl Elliott on 11/12/18 10:21am
 "Meanwhile, eat your greens..." hahaa.. n/m - Bear900/CA on 11/12/18 6:18pm
 It's so good to hear from you Marian. I'm sorry to hear -  MW/VA on 11/12/18 3:15pm
 Re: Another update... -  garland/CA on 11/12/18 4:10pm
 Re: Another update... - pdl/cali on 11/12/18 9:34pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.