Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Signing service requiring private info inc DL and Thumbprint
Posted by jojo_MN of MN on 11/15/18 9:35pm Msg #600340
This is a new one for me. Would like your opinion before I consider my options.

A few years ago I was told by an attorney to NEVER give signing services private information about the signers including drivers license information etc. Many signing services have said that they already have the social security number if they have the documents that are forwarded to us. When I mentioned this to the attorney, he stated that adding the drivers license information can lend to identity theft and I could be held accountable for giving the information, so I have always refused to send the information.

Now, there is a signing service that does not see the documents, just arranges for the notary. The documents are sent directly from the CLIENT for the customer to sign. This SS requires that the personal information is sent to them after the closing as well as a thumbprint. In addition, they want a copy of the drivers license.

I have done business with this company for a couple years thinking they were the processor so I sent the required documentation. When I received an email with an order recently I was told that a copy of the drivers license needs to be sent to me in addition to the CLIENT. That started to raise red flags to me so I called the contact and asked if they are processing the order or just the signing service. He stated "the signing service".

I asked WHY does he need this information if he is just a signing service and repeated to him about what the attorney told me. He said that he keeps a file with all the customers and if for some reason there are questions about the identity that they have proof that the customer was identified and they have the drivers license copy to prove it as well as the thumbprint. Needless to say, I was not happy with that answer considering the CLIENT has the originals of both so why would they need a signing service to provide a scanned copy. Also, it is on the notary to provide this proof anyway.

Since I refused to send this information, they started harassing the customer to send this information directly to them after I refused to go back to the customer and get another copy of dl and thumbprint. They went on to tell the customer that the CLIENT would take back their property if they didn't comply. When they refused, the SS called me again and demanded that I go back out and get it or the CLIENT would take the customer's property. I called the customer (was not going to go back out) and he said I called the wrong number, then called me back and wanted to know what was going on and he was going to call the police because we were running a scam and proceeded to tell me what the SS told him . I said no, that I would take care of it. I also said that I am not an attorney, but I could guarantee that they wouldn't have their property taken back. Note: The property was paid for in cash.

What is your opinion? Should I have complied with this and sent the SS the requested information against the attorney's advice. Obviously, I will no longer do business for this company. TIA
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Signing service requiring private info inc DL and Thumbprint - jojo_MN on 11/15/18 9:35pm
 Re: Signing service requiring private info inc DL and Thumbprint - jojo_MN on 11/16/18 12:24am
 Re: Signing service requiring private info inc DL and Thumbprint - James Powell on 11/16/18 6:28am
 Agree with James. And Bobbi. Something smells bad here. n/m - Lee/AR on 11/16/18 7:46am
 If it were me ... - BobbiCT on 11/16/18 6:35am
 Re: If it were me ... - JandB on 11/16/18 8:21am
 Re: If it were me ... - jojo_MN on 11/16/18 8:27am
 Re: If it were me ... - jojo_MN on 11/16/18 8:25am
 Thumbprints? - Yoli/CA on 11/16/18 8:27am
 Is this Maverick Signings? - ananotary on 11/16/18 9:58am
 Re: Is this Maverick Signings? - jojo_MN on 11/16/18 10:09am
 Re: Is this Maverick Signings? - ananotary on 11/16/18 10:56am
 Re: Is this Maverick Signings? - jojo_MN on 11/20/18 11:56am
 Re: Is this Maverick Signings? - Lee/AR on 11/16/18 12:39pm
 Re: Is this Maverick Signings? - jojo_MN on 11/16/18 12:54pm
 Re: Is this Maverick Signings? - Lee/AR on 11/16/18 1:34pm
 Re: Is this Maverick Signings? - jojo_MN on 11/16/18 2:04pm
 Re: Signing service requiring private info inc DL and Thumbprint - SteveS/CA on 11/16/18 1:29pm
 Re: Signing service requiring private info inc DL and Thumbprint - jojo_MN on 11/16/18 2:06pm
 Re: Signing service requiring private info inc DL and Thumbprint - SteveS/CA on 11/16/18 2:31pm
 Re: Signing service requiring private info inc DL and Thumbprint - MikeC/TX on 11/16/18 4:33pm
 Note To Self: Don't Ever Work For Maverick. n/m - PegiT_MN on 11/16/18 6:09pm
 A link to Model Privacy Policies dealerships must follow - Lee/AR on 11/16/18 7:09pm
 Add'l concern for notaries working with this co. - Lee/AR on 11/17/18 9:13am
 I agree 100%! n/m - jojo_MN on 11/20/18 11:47am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.