Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Do You Know How To Notarize An Attorney-In-Fact Signature?
Posted by  VT_Syrup of VT on 2/18/19 1:53pm Msg #603503
The answer in MN since January 1, 2019, is the same as the answer will be in my state, VT, starting July 1, 2019. The answer can be found in the MN laws given here:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/358.52 (definitions, including definition of acknowledgement.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/358.66 (short form certifiates)

That is MN's version of the Revised Uniform Law on Notarial Acts.

First, Mr. Clem Clarence Kadiddlehopper acknowledges to you that he signed for the purpose stated in the record and you use some method allowed by law to identify him. You check that throughout the instrument his name is written Clara Kadiddlehopper. Then you create this certficate:

State of Minnesota
County of Ramsey

This instrument was acknowledged before me on 18 February 2019 by Clara Kadiddlehopper.
/s/ PegiT_MN

(Stamp)
Notary Public

My commission expires December 31, 2020

Then Matthew Magillicutty acknowledges he signed the record with proper authority and signed it as the act of Clara Kadiddlehopper, and you use an allowable method to identify him. You check that throughout the instrument the names are written Matthew Magillicutty and Clara Kadiddlehopper, not any longer or shorter version of the name. You fill out this certificate:

State of Minnesota
County of Ramsey

This instrument was acknowledged before me on 18 February 2019 by Matthew Magillicutty as attorney in fact of Clara Kadiddlehopper.
/s/ MegiT_MN
(Stamp)

Notary Public
My commission expires: 31 December 2020

Once the Vermont law goes into effect July 1, the only difference between VT and MN is in the short form certificate, VT calls the document a record while MN calls it an instrument. In both states, we take the representative's word for it that he is signing as a representative, but we do put in the certificate both the name of the representative and the name of the principal.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Do You Know How To Notarize An Attorney-In-Fact Signature? - PegiT_MN on 2/18/19 12:42pm
 Re: Do You Know How To Notarize An Attorney-In-Fact Signature? - Luckydog on 2/18/19 1:08pm
 Re: Do You Know How To Notarize An Attorney-In-Fact Signature? -  canotaryhere on 2/18/19 1:10pm
 Re: Do You Know How To Notarize An Attorney-In-Fact Signature? - Luckydog on 2/18/19 1:11pm
 Good grief. Depends on state: MN,CA,FL, confusion? n/m -  sigtogo/OR on 2/18/19 1:13pm
 Yes, this is another one that is state specific and varies. n/m -  JanetK_CA on 2/18/19 2:22pm
 That Was Not The Question Janet. - PegiT_MN on 2/18/19 2:55pm
 Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!! - PegiT_MN on 2/18/19 1:15pm
 Not necessarily. The "capacity" issue is for CA, but not -  MW/VA on 2/19/19 10:40am
 Re: Do You Know How To Notarize An Attorney-In-Fact Signature? - PegiT_MN on 2/18/19 1:13pm
 Re: Do You Know How To Notarize An Attorney-In-Fact Signature? - Luckydog on 2/18/19 1:19pm
 It's usually filled out, but if not it's usually the name of -  MW/VA on 2/19/19 10:42am
 That's what I do Marilynn - Linda_H/FL on 2/20/19 10:00am
 Blah..second name s/b John Smith - forgot to change.. :) n/m - Linda_H/FL on 2/20/19 10:01am
 Statutes determine if representative capacity is shown - jnew on 2/18/19 1:38pm
 Re: Do You Know How To Notarize An Attorney-In-Fact Signature? -  VT_Syrup on 2/18/19 1:53pm
 In one spot I wrote Clara when I should have written Clem. n/m -  VT_Syrup on 2/18/19 1:54pm
 Make that 2 spots. n/m -  VT_Syrup on 2/18/19 2:01pm
 Yes..in FL (and sorry this is so late - have been working) - Linda_H/FL on 2/18/19 4:15pm
 And by law, in Florida, it must be an ack - Linda_H/FL on 2/18/19 4:40pm
 Which is one of the smartest laws around .... - BearPaw/CO on 2/18/19 5:05pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.